a few hundred coyotes killed with my .204 using mostly the 35 gr. bergers but I also used the 40 gr. bergers some. Used H4895 under both bullets. Rarely ever got an exit with the 35's, a little more often with the 40s. BUT, it killed just as good as any other gun/bullet combo that I've ever used. I'd still be using the .204, but I moved down the caliber list to the .17/204 for last year and another 90 or so coyotes dropped with it.
If you can't kill a coyote with the .204, ya just need to learn shot selection and shot placement
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: songdoga few hundred coyotes killed with my .204 using mostly the 35 gr. bergers but I also used the 40 gr. bergers some. Used H4895 under both bullets. Rarely ever got an exit with the 35's, a little more often with the 40s. BUT, it killed just as good as any other gun/bullet combo that I've ever used. I'd still be using the .204, but I moved down the caliber list to the .17/204 for last year and another 90 or so coyotes dropped with it.
If you can't kill a coyote with the .204, ya just need to learn shot selection and shot placement
smile.gif

I would like to see just one of these guys who spout about kill numbers on coyotes with sub caliber rifles, making it seem as a every day all day affair, enter into the coyote hunt competition, and win the world title with a sub caliber. That would put some teeth into the meat of the subject.

Funny though that the 204 was designed as a varmint cartridge and the majority of bullets offered reflect that fact. One bullet from Berger, the 35gr, is the savior for the predator side. Yet not one manufacturer offers that bullet in loaded ammo... go figure.

Another to add to this is all this spew about shot placement. While the perfect broad side shot is great, anyone who has seriously hunted called coyotes knows that perfect shot rarely presents it's self. You have to shoot them on the move and at odd angles most the time. To kill them clean you need to penetrate bone and meat to get the boiler room or the shot is often just a bit off into the liver. The 204 is not designed for this. Real world daily success requires a good bullet. That is something the 20 class bullets lack as well as the 17's frankly.

I will add that fox and bobcat get torn up bad from the high speed and explosive nature of the 20 bullet selection. Kills them just fine but is not productive when collecting fur. The 204 deserves a place in the varmint world. Flat shooting and fun. Let's keep our feet on the ground when it comes to predators though. It ain't all that and a bag of chips.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: songdoga few hundred coyotes killed with my .204 using mostly the 35 gr. bergers but I also used the 40 gr. bergers some. Used H4895 under both bullets. Rarely ever got an exit with the 35's, a little more often with the 40s. BUT, it killed just as good as any other gun/bullet combo that I've ever used. I'd still be using the .204, but I moved down the caliber list to the .17/204 for last year and another 90 or so coyotes dropped with it.
smile.gif

I would like to see just one of these guys who spout about kill numbers on coyotes with sub caliber rifles, making it seem as a every day all day affair, enter into the coyote hunt competition, and win the world title with a sub caliber. That would put some teeth into the meat of the subject.

Apples and Oranges! The run and gun Coyote Hunt Competition is different than the hunting for fur type hunter. There are some former Coyote Tournament Competitors who used bigger calibers for the Tournaments since saving fur was not a priority, but use sub-calibers for saving fur and do it with a great deal of success.
Maybe some of them will comment, but it probably isn't worth the hassle.
I've used sub-calibers for a long time now and never have felt undergunned. Then again, one of our good customers calls the 338 Win.Mag. a Varmint caliber, along with any below it.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: SShooterZHaters gonna hate. Ain't no one gonna change that no matter how much success you might have.

You would think at my age I would remember that.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: SShooterZHaters gonna hate. Ain't no one gonna change that no matter how much success you might have.

You would think at my age I would remember that.
rolleyes.gif

Yup. Whatever.

So let's see.... when it matters on drt coyotes hunters use bigger guns, but when it doesn't matter, a bunch of them run the 204.(maybe some will chime in) No hate just the facts. I owned a 204 and really liked it. In fact I tried real hard to like it. Problem was that it didn't kill coyotes any better than a 223 or a 22-250 and fox, bobcat were shredded. What's the gain?

Live in the pipe dream, but the fact is that the 204 is only marginally popular, and for good reason.

40gr boolits can be pushed to the same or faster speed with the 223. The 22-250 out classes the 204 huge. Not a game of hate but rather an exercise in common sence.

Stop feeling and start thinking. The 204 is not capable of much that the 223 hasn't already done. Thats fact. If they would have twisted the 204 at 1 in 11 or 1 in 10 twist then built bullets to fit that twist..... maybe, but the fact is they have not nor are they likely to. Go custom with a hard to find bullet selection.

As said. The 204 is a fine varmint round. As for a fur round, it does nothing that isn't already being done. No magic. All apples to apples.

And how is any of that dissertation related to the OPs question of a fur friendly bullet?

They may as well shut off the internet because an opinion has been provided and it is the only right one out of many apparently.

Originally Posted By: SShooterZAnd how is any of that dissertation related to the OPs question of a fur friendly bullet?

They may as well shut off the internet because an opinion has been provided and it is the only right one out of many apparently.

This is a discussion that got a bit off track.

You are the master of what?

So Smoke all this bad mouthing, what is your go to calling rifle?

If you read the OPs question, he was looking for a load for his 204, not to be dogged on by a JACK A$$.

Im getting tired of this forum............

Originally Posted By: N8WillSo Smoke all this bad mouthing, what is your go to calling rifle?

If you read the OPs question, he was looking for a load for his 204, not to be dogged on by a JACK A$$.

Im getting tired of this forum............

My go to calling rifles for coyotes are 223 with 60gr vmax or 6mm Rem with 80gr Sierra blitz.

You can't sew a hole on a hide you don't own.

Quote: While the perfect broad side shot is great, anyone who has seriously hunted called coyotes knows that perfect shot rarely presents it's self. You have to shoot them on the move and at odd angles most the time. Bull crap. A seasoned hunter rarely has to shoot a moving target and broadside and frontal shots are the norm, and under 200 yards. It's not hard, you should try it.
By the way, I hunt contests, and get this, last year I used my .17-204 while hunting the contests. Got 1st in two contests and 2nd in the 3rd. BUT, maybe I'm just not serious enough about it.

Heck TR maybe you should take it serously, you might 300 dogs this year.....

Sorry this guy is killing me, I should keep my mouth shut

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote: While the perfect broad side shot is great, anyone who has seriously hunted called coyotes knows that perfect shot rarely presents it's self. You have to shoot them on the move and at odd angles most the time. Bull crap. A seasoned hunter rarely has to shoot a moving target and broadside and frontal shots are the norm, and under 200 yards. It's not hard, you should try it.
By the way, I hunt contests, and get this, last year I used my .17-204 while hunting the contests. Got 1st in two contests and 2nd in the 3rd. BUT, maybe I'm just not serious enough about it.

Maybe so. I don't see it that way though.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Guess the Coyotes didn't get the "204/17Rem." aren't big enough. I know the last 2 Bobcats I used the 204 on didn't.

Quote:So let's see.... when it matters on drt coyotes hunters use bigger guns, but when it doesn't matter, a bunch of them run the 204.

As a fur hunter, DRT Coyotes are very important to me, that's why I use sub calibers. I've had a lot of runners with bigger bores and like Songdog posted, I rarely have anything but frontal or side shots.

Originally Posted By: mjfritz07Any demos on sewing anywhere?

Here is a video i made a while ago.. I was looking on Youtube for this kind of stuff and couldn't find anything so after talking to a fur buyer and learning what and how he wanted it.. I made this series.
Hope it helps. It's not the be all end all, but think it's good starting point if you don't know what to do after skinning.

I have a 22-250 and 223 and have a buddy that uses a 204 and we both have the same blowout and damage.
I have found with my Vmax and other simular type of bullets, i purposely aim to miss shoulders and bone.

Let me say why, In my opinion.
I don't like shooting them in the neck for a head on shot, if they are facing me, then they are usually still going to come. The goal is to get them in for a shotgun shot, higher % kill, best of all i don't have to walk out to get the Coyote. NO SEWing 99% of the time.
If i do have to use the rifle I hate the head on chest or nick shot.(I will take it if i need to) the chest shot is a high percentage of almost ripping a leg off or a big hole and that isn't the place for a hole when you are skinning. It's a pain and a mess. If they are sitting and facing, I aim a little lower.

I DON'T SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE.. IF you are skinning, that makes a mess and takes a lot more time to skin out. You almost have to scrape what's left of the scalp off the hide, and sewing holes there are hard to hide.

I prefer the broadside shot and a little further back than behind the front shoulder.. Because as the Vmax goes in, it bursts and still takes out the heart and lungs and just about everything, they drop DRT 99% and it's a tiny hole NO SEWING.
I had to stop trying to take Deer hunting shots and take advantage of the rounds i was using. If you don't hit bone it's almost never a blow out. I am not eating it, so i don't care if the round blows out the diaphragm. or guts in the process. I want it to Drop DRT, because tracking is wasting time.
I also suggest carrying a 22lr pistol. On the occasional one that isn't dead when you get there, i line up the pistol and some shoot for the heart, but i aim one in the ear. They are dead right then, and NO SEWING. I would prefer the ear shot if it was me.
yes i hate sewing. I have enough out of the 20-30 a year that i sell that will require sewing, that i try to minimize it.

I use the same method for skinning as this guy. (not nearly as fast) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37cRZqq_j30&list=UUPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA

Last edited:
Quote:I have a 22-250 and 223 and have a buddy that uses a 204 and we both have the same blowout and damage.
what were the bullets used in the 3 calibers that were getting the same "blow-out" results? Let me guess, plastic tipped, plastic tipped, and plastic tipped?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: songdog Quote: While the perfect broad side shot is great, anyone who has seriously hunted called coyotes knows that perfect shot rarely presents it's self. You have to shoot them on the move and at odd angles most the time. Bull crap. A seasoned hunter rarely has to shoot a moving target and broadside and frontal shots are the norm, and under 200 yards. It's not hard, you should try it.

I agree here. It is not that hard to get a frontal or side shot on a coyote that is not running. It is not hard to stop them. Most people dont have the patience and shoot when they are on the move. Probably 99% of mine are standing still and most of them at less than 50 yds.

Ok, with the limited varieties of bullets for the 204 there really isn't that much in the way of options..

If you take out the evil plastic tips, and the grenades.. What's really left for the 20cal.

A HP bullet? There just isn't that may options, and if you use a HP, you don't have a promise of not having a blowout, or in my experice a double hole as it goes in and out.

The worst issue I had with .224 cal HP bullet is tracking. Most dropped DRT but I had more runners with those, and spending time tracking them in snow.. Not a big deal, but we don't always have that. So if i spend time tracking, that is time i am not calling in another and why I don't use it.

Back