Red or Green Lights

ATL

Hey yall,

If anyone has had any experience with the affects of red vs. green lights on yotes I'ed like to hear about it. Specifically, once hit with a red or green light how does the yote typically react? Is he more scared of one color more than another?

Thanks,

ATL

I personally have never had great luck with yotes and green light. You can use any color light(even white) if you have the chance to condition the animal to the light from a greater distance or with a dimmer, but I find that red light is the least obtrusive color to all the animals I hunt. This is just personal preference though as I like to shoot at calm animals.
With todays brighter red led lights being able to id at nearly 300 yards I feel why not use the red color to your advantage.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you typically run your lights in a hunting set up? Do you keep them on all the time? Do you call, wait 5-10 mins, then turn em on and scan? I can't make sense of it all because everyone I talk to and everything I read says less movement= better yote success. Which would make moving a light around possibly counter productive.

Thoughts?

ATL

According to the universities green should be easier to be detect by the coyotes than red. With that said you can shock a coyote with any color if it is to bright when you first shine it. We scan non stop. We dim our light to just pick up the eyes then we quickly turn up the rheostat in order to blind the coyote with the light. A coyote can pop in and out in a flash, If you are not scanning you could miss him.

We scan with dim and diffused a red led light on our head and have a much brighter Red led light on our weapons. we keep the scan light on at all times from the time we leave the vehicle till we return. once you pic up the eye of a predator do not take the light off them. once they are in id and shooting range we turn on out shooting light and id then shoot if it is our target species.

Keeping your scan light off, and only turning it on briefly every few minutes to quickly scan...

Is like keeping your eyes closed during the day, and only opening your eyes quickly every few minutes to look around before closing your eyes again.

That would be silly- you can't see eyes at night if your light is off.

IMO,The above posts by Coyote Light and Boondocks are spot on. Not only is red less intrusive to predators but you can see further and better with red light. Green light is generally brighter than red however, you can actually see further and clearer with red. I can’t speak for the rest of the country but here in the east the night air has humidity that reflects the wavelength of green light. This causes your vision to be distorted when trying to focus on an object. For those of you that have access to both green and red lights, pick out a tree line about 100 yards or so away and shine the green light on the tree line then look for a dead tree with exposed branches and try counting the branches. Now switch to a red light of the same quality and count the branches. You should see that it is much clearer with red light. Also, try shining both lights at the same time in the air side by side and you should clearly see the green beam over the red beam. That is because it is reflecting off of the particles in the air that you can actually see within the beam of the green light.

I do have a lot of customers asking for green so I do offer my headlamp and gun light in green to fill the demand however, I highly recommend red over green.

ALL
Every year this question is asked. Red is the answer. Every year red lights have become more and more powerful. It use to be red lights were not powerful enought and guys tried green because the leds in green put out more visible light. Not any more,some red led lights today are very powerful.

I'm going to shake things up here, I switched from red to white last year and plan on using white again this year!

Here is a question. Since red lights are getting much more powerful(brighter) which would be better, a Bright Red light or a Dimmer white light? And why?

Jeff
Nice to see your still around. But your going to make me type more then I like. Better you call me.
Here is a little about your question.
You can hunt with white light but things seam to spook easier the brighter it gets. If they do not spook from bright white they seam to hang up out farther. The other problem is you lose your night vision with white. But white light makes finding dead animal's easer because we can see colors better with white.
If I was forced to hunt with white a dimmer would help alot. But white causes to many sharp shadow's and any weather conditions cause haze to be problem. A clear night air is the best for white any other weather conditions seams to be a problem and compounds night vision on top of that. I have killed a lot with white but I easly kill more with red.
Now the advantage of bright red.
With a powerful red led in the 620 to 630 range of light does not seam bright to critters because it is starting to get close to the color were they have a hard time seeing the light cleary. Some studies clam they will only see a gray form of light. But aparently enoughy of a gray light we can hide behind the beam and they can not see use. As far as seeing red light an extreme example would be kinda like we can not see infrared light very well. Even though a powerful infrared light can blind us permitly and we would not even know it until it is to late.
Red led lights have gotten powerful enough that you can clearly see very far now and not disturb the animals. Plus there red eyes can be seen easly well over 500 yards. Seeing there eyes so easly and so far puts everything in our favor. Example like bobcats in the brush can not hide there eyes and will give them up even if they think they are hiding. Pluse seeing critters coming so far our is always helpful. Also you never lose you night vision.

Back