Night hunting without lights

Hey guys,

I wrote a letter to State Senator Richard Ross this past Feb informing him of the inconsistancy between Chapter 131 and Regulations which allow hunting of fox and coyote until midnight and asked him to sponsor an ammendment to Chapter 131 to allow the use of artificial light to hunt fox and coyote. I heard back from him in March saying he would look into the matter, but that it was probably too late for this Senate session but he would file an amendment in Jan 2013. To my suprise, I received an email on Friday from his Legislative Director, Jen McNamara. Here is her email response:
"I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know that Senator Ross filed an amendment to the FY 2013 Senate Ways & Means Budget allowing fox and coyote to be hunted with the aid of artificial light. The text of the amendment (#192) is attached.
Hopefully, this amendment will be successful and be adopted as part of the budget. The Senate will be debating the budget next week and I will be sure to contact you once action has been taken on this amendment."

Here is the wording of the amendment:
Mr. Ross moves to amend the bill (Senate No. 4) by inserting, after SECTION XX, the following new section:
"SECTION XX. Chapter 131 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking, in section 68, the words "raccoon or opossum" and inserting in place therof the following words: "raccoon, opossum, fox or coyote."

I suggest contacting your Senators asking their support of this amendment. Hopefully, we will be able to use lights soon!

I heard from Senator Ross' office. Unfortunately, the amendment did not pass. He may consider refilling the amendment next year. I will following up with him in the fall. I suggest others interested in hunting with artificial lights contact his office and/or your State Senator.

I feel the pain... I've missed out on more than I even know about only using moonlight. Statewide harvest would probably double if not triple with the use of lights.

I brought this up with the Mass Sportsmans Council at the sportsmans show in West Springfield and they told me we had a better shot at passing Sunday hunting than night hunting for predators, however he didn't think either would ever pass anytime soon. Bottom line is there isn't enough support, like others have stated it would need to go to a general vote which brings it out of the hunting community and into Boston.

You would think in the interest of safety and target identification they would allow it, at least after January 1st. I talked to the Env. police aswell and they we're complete a**holes, questioned why I would even want to use a light if I could bait. Idiots.

I think a big problem with trying to change this Law would be that someone could add an amendment to the bill that makes things worse.

I spoke with a member of the Wildlife Board when the length of the coyote season was being changed. When I complained about the light Law he told me I should buy a night vision scope.

I even heard that one EPO said you'd get a ticket if you even used a light just to get to your bait. For safety I think the Law should be changed.

That's the problem with politicians making rules for the hunters. Add things onto bills that might not stand a chance of getting passed. Should be up to your game dept. but they can be difficult to deal with at times also.

Stay after them. Hunting with lights is awesome !

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickThat's the problem with politicians making rules for the hunters. Add things onto bills that might not stand a chance of getting passed. Should be up to your game dept. but they can be difficult to deal with at times also.

Stay after them. Hunting with lights is awesome !

I bet it is! I've never had the opportunity to try it. We can use night vision but I can't afford it, don't know many who can.

I've called in a ton of predators at night that I can hear walking around me in the leaves but I cannot see them, it's usually hard to get them into an empty field for a shot even with no moon.

It always "grinds my gears" when I watch furtakers and they shoot a fox in the treeline that I'd never see 100 times out of 100. Jealousy is an understatement.

I hope you guys get that law changed. It's a result of people writing bills on subjects they know nothing about. Much like how lighted nocks are illegal in some states. It's mind numbing.

Back