Twist rate

Bear

What is the thoughts on a 223 in a 1/9 twist? Will it stabilize the heavier slugs or is it limited to69 grain slugs?
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: BearWhat is the thoughts on a 223 in a 1/9 twist? Will it stabilize the heavier slugs or is it limited to69 grain slugs?
unsure.gif

The 1:9 and the 69's were made for each other. Once you pass that line the 1:8 is pretty mandatory. It will handle up to the 80's. Go past that and 1:7 is the way to go.

Once you settle on a twist give Ritch a shout. He can get you any of the three from Black Hole and they will be shooters.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Field MedicWhat 69g bullets due you recommend?
Factory and Reload options? ?

Sierra 69 SMK for general over all performance. Available to relaod or in the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I hear the Noslers are good too but I have not shot them.

Greg

Bear, I have two 16" barreled ARs with 1/9 twist rates and 69gr is the heaviest (actually 68gr) round that I've been able to get to shoot accurately...I usually list 69gr since 70gr are the next step that I tried and they were miserable at anything other than close range (50 yards)..

Like others have suggested, if you want to shoot the heavier 65gr and above on a regular basis, I would opt for a 1/8 twist barrel...If any of your shots will be at the longer ranges, I think you will ultimately be more satisfied with the performance...

Why the turmoil over the twist rate? (I assume you have a choice?) Just go with the 1:8 and you can shoot anything from 40gr on up. I can't see ANY advantage to going with a 9 twist over an 8.

Back