Nosler Accubond Long Range

FairChase93

I've been thinking about buying a box of these in .277 150 gr for my 270win, I have a good shooting load with Hornady 130gr SST, however I'm always looking to experiment with something new just for the heck of it.

There seems to be a lot of negative reviews on the Internet about the terminal ballistics of these bullets, I'm curious if anyone on here has any experience with them and what their thoughts are of them.

I don't generally put a lot of stock in the reviews on sporting goods websites however there seems to be a constant theme of poor penetration and massive fragmentation with the Accubond Long Range lineup.

I shoot them out of my 270 weatherby and get some awesome groups with retumbo. Haven't used them on an animal yet but hope to change that this fall.

I load 140gr NAB in my Rem 7mm mag. I get great groups, generally 1/2" and have had sub 1/4". Shot a Muely in Wyoming last year at 430 yards. Accubonds are great

I've used a few Accubonds in the past and had no problems. However there is supposedly something about these new Accubond Long Range bullets that is making them very frangible.

The Ballistic Tip are fragile. I have loaded those and still have a few boxes. You don't get an exit wound with Ballistic Tip.

I haven't seen or shot these but I would bet hat "something" is the fact that they are meant for long range hunting.

I don't know why it's a surprise that people are getting "explosive" results when they shoot game from close range with a bullet that was designed to expand at low velocity.

My deer hunting bud loads them for his 300 Win.(165g..yes not a typo)
Poor penetration and massive fragmentation? Seriously? Not at all the case with the 1/2 dozen or more deer he has shot anyway.
I have some of the same loaded up for my 300 WSM but not yet found something that provided accuracy expectations...yet.
Very pricey figuring this particular bullet/load out. Experimenting..lol..$$$ maybe you will have better luck.
I did find acceptable accuracy using the regular 165g Nosler B-Tip and Accurate 3100; figures a discontinued powder..BUT..still have 1/3 of a pound maybe.
ETA-Deer shot at 150-200 yards through ribs and lungs both sides exit hole not much larger than a quarter.
On the other extreme a coyote shot at the same distance in the shoulder...basketball size exit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FairChase93I've used a few Accubonds in the past and had no problems. However there is supposedly something about these new Accubond Long Range bullets that is making them very frangible.

This could be something I was not aware of
unsure.gif

I think a LOT of guys on this thread are confused... If your talking about bullets you have used for years, your not much help to the OP & his question. These bullets have only been out a year or so & have been hard to get during that entire time...

Again, the "Nosler Accubond Long Range" as stated in the title is new. They only have 7 offerings of this bullet. 4 different calibers in limited weights. None are offered in 6mm, none are offered in .30 cal less than 190gr. They are a NEW bullet that is designed to have the highest BC possible (heavy for caliber) & have a minimum terminal velocity of 1300 fps (much lower than the standard bullets).

The normal accubonds and BT's are totally different bullets.

Coleridge, I think your right that there was some confusion. These are NOT Nosler Accubond, they ARE Nosler Accubond Long Range. 2 entirely different bullets. The smallest caliber offered is 6.5. They are terribly hard to find and EXPENSIVE.

As for the explosive results, it could be that people are speaking of close range high velocity shots, I don't know as most reviews are quite vague. As I stated in the original post it is hard to put a lot of stock in a one sentence review on a sporting goods retailer.

I'm simply looking for real world results and opinions for the NOSLER ACCUBOND LONG RANGE.

Yep, I am intersted in these too. I've been trying to get my hands on the 6.5 version for over a year with no luck. I also would like to hear first hand experience & details but it's too hard reading through all the smoke that's not relavent.

With the 500 ft/sec lower min velocity it sure sounds like they are softer. Still you would think the bonding process would lock the base at least.

All depends on what you're hunting and the range you think you'll be shooting. Unless you're going for an elk or bear I can't think of any reason you'd want a 150 gr round rather than 130 gr.

Back