45-70 for brown bear?

NCMTNBOY

I am always trying to find a "reason" to buy a new gun. I would carry my 280 Remington for about everything in the lower 48, so considered buying a dangerous game gun, for a future trip back to Alaska. Most recommendations are for a longer range shooting rifle like a 338 or 375, but most of the country I saw, when I was there, was up close and personal. Most the videos are of bears being shot are within a hundred yards. I would think a big slow hard cast bullet in a quick handling rifle think (1895 SBL with a 18" barrel) would be a better solution than a 24"-26" barrel bolt gun. I have had a 338 and did not mind the recoil, but was a lot of gun to swing in cover. What am I missing?

Last edited:

The 338win or 375H&H have been used for many years.
You should be talking to your guide.
Nine years ago I shot a brown (2 shots) with 338win, 210gr bullets.
As for range, your guide will tell you when to load and shoot.
We had range time, so he could judge my shooting skill.

A 45-70 with Garretts heaviest loads is fully adequate for any animal that walks this earth. Yes, it’s not a long range round with those heavy, relatively poor BC slugs but no reasonable person shoots dangerous game at long ranges. Don

I certainly have to agree with Don about this one. Heck, that even sounds perfect to me! I would feel pretty good with something like a Marlin Guide Gun stoked with a full magazine of Buffalo Bore 430 grain hard cast flat points steaming along at over 1900 FPS. That's over 3500 foot pounds of energy right there from a quick handling lever action rifle. If out for elephant or cape buffalo I might want more than that but aint no bear that will ever need more. Good choice.

You are seeing the guns hunters hunt with because they are good all purpose guns, most who carry a gun strictly for defense of life and/or property use a lever gun or shotgun. I have never seen a big game guide carry a shot gun/lever gun while hunting nor have I ever seen a fishing guide not carry a shot gun or lever gun. Its about the right tool for the job.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the last 15yrs doing three things relevant to this conversation:

1) Talking with different guides regarding DG hunting and kit selection
2) Hunting with a 45-70
3) Hunting with DGR's (even if it's rarely been for DG - 416Rig makes a heck of a deer rifle, 338wm is a hoot on coyotes)

In general, every guide or PH that I've spoken to about using a Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 with Marlin only loads has responded the same, "Well, it's not really popular, and I'd recommend something else, but I don't really see anything wrong with it." I've even spoken with African PH's that were just fine with my desire to use the Marlin Guide Gun for heavy DG, even though they admitted that it was WAY out of left field. Of course, that's talking about Marlin only loads that are creeping up into 458wm ballpark.

Overall, the message I get from them is that it isn't a "bad choice, but there are likely "better choices".

There's no doubt that the .45-70 will kill any bear it encounters, and likely do so just as quickly as anything else would.

I hear a lot of folks touting that the .45-70 is a "very range limited" weapon, but what is "limited range?" I certainly don't qualify 250-300yrds as "limited range" for any of the hunting I've done in the last 20yrs, and for what it's worth, I also have NOT had a single guide or PH, whether it was for brown bear or for cape buffalo, tell me that 250yrds was "too short" either. I've been on two DG hunts out of country and never took a shot over 200yrds.

Without question, however, it's a lot easier to hunt a flatter shooting cartridge, but if you can manage the marksmanship, the .45-70 isn't a bad choice (just might not be the "best choice").

So I guess the moral of the story is, for close encounters the 45-70 would work great, but while "hunting" I should convince them to stand waaaaaay over there where my fast, mid weight bullet can have time to work.

I use to shoot deer with a 338 too. A 160 gr Barnes bullet at 3600 fps, but the 44 mag in a Ruger carbine put them down just as quick with a big slow bullet at close range.

Thanks for all the input, I will wait until I plan a trip and follow my guides recommendation. I might still buy a few rifles in the mean time
smile.gif

Not all grizz hunts are created equal. A 45-70 is perfect for a fall coastal grizz hunt in south east alaska because you will be hunting rivers and estuaries. A spring hunt can have you glassing distant slopes. If I am hunting interior griz or most other hunts I don't want to limit my opportunities with limited range.

For most people an alaskan grizz hunt is a big deal that may only come along once. Figure out the hunting style and match the gun.

Three things are important for large Brownies:

1. Penetration

2. Choosing a cartridge/rifle combo suitable for the likely hunting ranges

3. Penetration

Back