College student putting together a do-it-all rifle

The 243 that I have had since the early 80's had close to 3000+ rounds through it. Many trips to SD on the PD towns. I rebarreled it about 5yrs ago. You will NOT be able to save money reloading because as someone else said You WILL SHOOT MORE. But you will be able to make quality ammo for less. I would also say go with a variable power scope in the 3-12 or 4-16 range because sometime you will have a yote come running in to under 50yds and you won't be able to see anything but hair in the scope. Most all my guns have a 4-14 or 4-16x scope on them. When calling they ate at the lowest setting and if I need to I can crank it up. The other thing that you will need when reloading is to see if you can get a mentor and have him help you get things set up. Also when you read the reloading manual the second or third time you will pick up more and more. Also it is nice to have a second manual buy a different manufacturer. IE if you have a hornady then pick up a nosler as a back up. You will see that different manuals might have a different min or max load for the same bullet. Max are a guide line and all guns are going to react different to each load. I have been reloading for over 35yrs and I can tell you that I learn something everytime I read the manual or every year.

This is what my bench looks like. But since the picture there has been another single stage press added and another whole bench added for just shotgun loading and cleaning guns.

bench.jpg

I don't think that I have saved too much but it gives me a good place to go when it is too hot in the summer to go shoot ot if it is too cold to go hunting.

Haha deaddog! That's a quality man cave if I've ever seen one!

Well, my caliber choice is set in stone. After calling every gun shop within 100 miles of here, I managed to snag the only Ruger American Predator available in .243 from Bud's Gun Shop.

Originally Posted By: UCChrisHaha deaddog! That's a quality man cave if I've ever seen one!

Well, my caliber choice is set in stone. After calling every gun shop within 100 miles of here, I managed to snag the only Ruger American Predator available in .243 from Bud's Gun Shop.

Buds will do you right. They sometimes take 4-5 days to ship, though.

You've been given good info about scope powers for hunting. One tip that hasn't been mentioned: My son is a great bench shooter, but he initially had an extremely difficult time finding a coyote in the scope. It took me a while to realize that he was shutting one eye when he brought the gun to his shoulder. LOTS of people do this, and some do fine. But it is easier if you leave both eyes open until you find the animal in the scope. If you aren't doing that, try it.

4-5 days is no big deal. After checking the rifle out, it is going in my closet until my birthday on Dec 18. So far away!

Thanks for the tips Hidalgo. I learned to shoot with iron sights and, since my right eye is bad, I have learned to shoot with both eyes open. I moved to a shotgun from there, and finally a scope. I do all my shooting, hunting or target, with both eyes open due to my right eye.

Last edited:
The 243 is a good choice. So is the American, methinks.

The Rockchucker kit is the way to go also.

I can't like the Hawke scopes. Get yourself a Redfield Revolution, a Leupold VX-1, or Weaver Classic. Something with a top end of 9-10X. 4-12X40 if you must. All excellent for their low price tags. All better than the Nikon Prostaff also..........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun All better than the Nikon Prostaff also..........

LOL ... we'll have to disagree on that one.
wink.gif

As for budget minded scopes, the PS certainly isn't bad IMO. I do like the other 3 better though and feel light transmission is higher. A Prostaff would probably be next on my list of buget minded scopes........

I have a Hawke 4x scope laying around. I heard that the Redfield Revolution is a decent scope, so I went and tried out that and the Nikon Buckmaster at my Cabelas. The Hawke is just as bright, so I might throw that on there for hunting (200-300 yards) and still get the SWFA SS for long range "plinking".

Last edited:
True Hidalgo. The scope is rated for the "double recoil" of a spring piston airgun, so it should hold up to the .243 just fine.

Back