Gopro video at 15 feet with 17 Hornet

utahcoyotehunter

I decided to try and make a little extra gas money after an unsuccessful bow hunt out here in Utah. The landowner decided to harvest his alfalfa a few days before I arrived and continued to do so the week I was there. 6 game cameras of pics showed more coyotes in the fields than deer and the biggest bucks I had pics of earlier in the season where nowhere to be seen. Oh well, there were dogs to kill so I switched out the Hoyt for the 17 Hornet. My youngest daughter wanted a rifle that was shoulder friendly so what a great excuse to the wife to get a new gun. It's all about the kids
smile.gif
I usually like to wait until November but I love making money and hauling the ATV out there was not cheap. I put my GoPro on a head mount and sat down about 2/10 of a mile from the hay field. The wind was directly in my face with a big section of sagebrush at my back. I started with a howl and waited 5 minutes before calling on one of Kerry Carvers calls. A few minutes after that you can see one coming in at the top 1/3 of the video. He stops a few times with the lip squeaks bringing him in the rest of way. I know I needed to get it him as close as possible as the GoPro does not work the greatest for longer shots. The GoPro makes it look like he is a lot further away than 15' but he sees something he didn't like and takes off. I barked and he stopped and just when i shot he took off again so I hit him a little further back then planned. He spun and a 2nd shot did it. The 1st shot put a rather large baseball size hole in him so I am sure he would of not gone far after that. Not bad for a little 20 grain Hornady bullet. Every coyote I shot that last day dropped on the 1st shot except this one. The farthest shot was only 100 yards on big male but I am pretty impressed with it. Accurate too. Should of saved some for later in the year but in Utah you have to take advantage of what comes your way or there all gone or a bit jumpy by winter
smile.gif
Had to trim the video to email to a few friend before I put it on YouTube.

Disclaimer: This is not a O'neill Ops quality production
smile.gif
(James-the V.A.P.R. has been upgraded to "pending status"--Can't get here soon enough)

If this link doesn't load paste it in your browser. Thanks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MwMr2O6SeL0

Hero 3+. smaller and better battery life than the older ones but some say the pics/video farther away is not as good but closer is a lot better. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Mounted with a headstrap that are sold on eBay, amazon etc for usually under $20. There is a huge amount of mounting options for the GoPro's. I usually use it on the bow or place it on the caller or mojo critter for close up shots. Hope that helps.

Back