Need Some Help

ATL

Hey yall,

I'm fairly new to coyote hunting and though I've had a little success I haven't been able to repeat it. 2 Decembers ago during a snow storm I called in a double. So, last December I went after them hard... hunted 20 nights and didn't see squat. I've made sure I am making sure I'm using a cross wind at each of my sets that blows torward where I expect to see the yotes, generally I am able to sneak into each of my sets in a way they can't see me from a far, I have back cover whenever I set up. My hunts consisted of me setting up at each of my spots from anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours... dependent on if wind switches or how many spots I want to hunt that night. I usually hunt during the hours of 8 pm- 1am. To spot yotes at night I've been using a red wicked light w/ a pistal grip to spot and not spook the critter and a green wicked light mounted to my rife to burn em once the critter is in range. Calling wise, I got an Jonny Stewart e-caller and start soft. Usually use cotten tail ditress, jack rabbit distress or rodent distress for 5 mins then silence anywhere from 5-20 mins usually around 10 mins though. I also picked up a Cronk hand caller not too long ago and us that to sound like a dying animal... still no luck.

So guys can anyone see where I am going wrong? Should I be hunting dawn and dusk instead of night time hunting?

Thanks,

Adam

We all go on a stretch like that every once in a while. I think the hours are great. I'm usually back at the house by 10-10:30. My suggestion is scout...scout and scout, and use trail cams

Now what specifically do you look for when scouting? How is it different then scouting for deer? Say you do get dogs on camera, do you hunt during the times you see them on camera?

I like to walk the entire perimeter fence looking for places that coyotes are crossing. Check game trails, creek crossings, and farm or logging roads for scat. Pick out some good vantage points and clear your sit down area so you won't have to fool with that the time of the hunt. Pick out spots where several ridges or hollows merge. Make notes and sketches to keep for future reference. Don't call too much and limit your movements. Good luck.

Back