Load To Match The 223 Superformance?

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Anyone done it yet? My Colt likes the ammo fine & it works great on game, would be nice if I could make it myself
wink.gif

Stu, that might be an exercise in futility. As you probably know, a lot of factory packed ammunition isn't loaded with powder that we can get off the shelf. Some are "blended". I did some research for you, and talked to a loader on another site who broke down one of the loads and said the powder looked like a blend, and it didn't look like anything he had on his bench. Some had thought that the new Superformance powder might be what is used in the factory ammo. If it is, Hodgdon isn't giving out any data that says so. As a matter of fact, one person I know actually called Hodgdon and asked for data for the .223, and he was told "The Superformance powder is for ONLY the cartridges and calibers that are listed with their Data on the site." This includes .22-250, .300, and some others .... but no .223. Perhaps we will get something in the future. They may not have finished testing enough to disclose data yet, or they may never do so.

Sorry ... wish I could be of more help.

I was afraid of that. Even so, I'm thinking that since it's accurate in that rifle, I should be able to use the same bullet & work up an accurate load with it. Worth a try I guess.

If all you are wanting is to work up a load for the 53gr VMax, that should be easy enough with a little research and testing. I would think that the customary .223 powders would be fine. Hodgdon does have data listed for the 53gr bullets.

I'm going to try it. It's a 1 in 9 twist barrel & my limited playing with lighter bullets in the past wasn't good enough, but I need a hunting load for it.

My 1/8 barrels shoot 60s extremely well, so I can't imagine why your 1/9 wouldn't do the same with 53s if you find the right powder for it.

Benchmark has been my "go to" powder for a long time. I have loaded a touch past max in my ARs with the 60s without any signs of pressure problems.

Hodgdon is showing a max load of Benchmark (26.0gr)with the 53 running out at 3308 fps, and the ballistics on the Superformance factory loads is proposed to be 3465 fps. That's a considerable bit of difference, but I doubt it would be noticeable on either end of the bullet.

Might be a good place to start ......
wink.gif

I use CFE and 50 or 55 Vmax's in my 20" 1/9. 27.0 gr and a 55 Vmax shoot very accurately. I found the Superperformance to be just OK for accuracy. The above load has some room for more velocity. Added bonus of CFE, really does clean out most of the copper if that is an issue in your barrel. I get 1/2 MOA at 100 yds pretty consistently with this combo in my rifle
smile.gif

There are several powders that will duplicate Hornady Superformance. CFE 223 is a very good start just use Hodgdon data and you will be close. Funny coincidence isn't it that CFE223 and Hornady Leverevolution powder have the exact same burn rate..... I am not saying just sayin.
I am getting over 3100fps with 53gr VMax with a 16 inch barreled 223 with the CFE.by the way.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishIt seems that the 53 g VMax likes faster twist barrels. I'll have to buy some & experiment.

They will stabilize in a 14" barrel if you drive them fast from a 22-250 or .220 Swift.

From a 223, they need a 12" or faster.

Colt is 1 in 9, likes 68gr Hornady match bullets.

I just ordered 200, will see how they do. If the colt doesn't like them my 22-250 prolly will

it's 1 in 9 or 1 in 7, have to check. I know that it likes heavier bullets & limited testing showed that it doesn't like lighter ones in general. But the superformace matched the group sizes I get with my handloads using 68gr Hornady BTHP match bullets.

I have been itching to try the 53gr vmax for both my ar and my 22-250. The factory superperformance shoot really good out of AR's. Keep us posted on your results.

By the way does anyone know the burn rate on the superperformance powder? The burn rate chart I have doesn't list it. I suspect it's a medium burn rate, maybe a little faster than varget or RE15?

Originally Posted By: K_V_VI have been itching to try the 53gr vmax for both my ar and my 22-250. The factory superperformance shoot really good out of AR's. Keep us posted on your results.

By the way does anyone know the burn rate on the superperformance powder? The burn rate chart I have doesn't list it. I suspect it's a medium burn rate, maybe a little faster than varget or RE15?

It is a lot slower than H-414 and Win 760. With the 50-55 gr bullets, you will have powder flowing out of the case, and have trouble getting the bullet in.

The Superformance powder you buy, is NOT the powder in the Superformance factory loads... not even a close cousin.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

The Superformance powder you buy, is NOT the powder in the Superformance factory loads... not even a close cousin.

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

From the info that I was given, it's another one of those "factory blends" that we may or may not ever get our hands on.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: CatShooter

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

From the info that I was given, it's another one of those "factory blends" that we may or may not ever get our hands on.

Actually, it is "US" that get the good powder blends - factories get bulk, ungraded powder. Each shipment is a different burning speed, and they start all over again with different loads.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: CatShooter

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Actually, it is "US" that get the good powder blends - factories get bulk, ungraded powder. Each shipment is a different burning speed, and they start all over again with different loads.

Maybe I didn't word that correctly. I'll try again.

We'll likely never know what is in the factory loading because some long-haired bearded reading-glasses-wearing scientist is mixing powder until he comes up with the blend that works, and even HE doesn't know how he got there. So we'll never see it .....

Better?
lol.gif

I think we were saying the same thing, actually.
huh.gif
You just worded it better.

Back