6-6.8 Build

R15 Predator

I am going to build another 6-6.8 to put a PVS 27 on. What twist barrel should I order? Probably going to go 22" as it will be suppressed unless there is that much difference in velocity going to 24".

Eight twist and the extra barrel lenght won't add much. The faster twist will let you shoot the bigger bullets for sub. The longer tube will work against you though in subsonic. Kind of darned if you do darned if you don't.

Greg

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorI am going to build another 6-6.8 to put a PVS 27 on. What twist barrel should I order? Probably going to go 22" as it will be suppressed unless there is that much difference in velocity going to 24".

I just ordered one a few days back in 8 twist. I always favor a faster twist, incase you want to shoot and stabilize the long heavies. I know you are limited by mag length. But I always go fast now on my barrels. What's the lightest you will shoot, probably 55-58? What is the twist on your other 6x6.8 you have?

I wouldn't use anything faste than a 9 twist. There is no reason to. If you want to use an 8 twist you should be shooting a 243 LBC. The 6x68 case is to long to shoot the 105's from the magazine. The long bullets simply use up to much space inside the case.

I have a 6 LBC for 105's.

My current 6-6.8 is a 1 in 9 twist.

I don't really care for shooting 58 grain bullets. My goal is to shoot 70-85 grain bullets for coyote.

Do the BHW barrels come with bolt heads?

I guess I should have clarified- I will have a suppressor on the gun but have no intention of shooting sub sonic. I don't want to wake the farmers wife when I am firing down on a coyote at 3:00AM.

The 243LBC wont shoot 105's it is a 1-10 twist. Your really duplicating the same preformance here, theres not enough measurable difference between the two. Why not do a 6.8 or a Grendel so you can stock one kind of brass?

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorI have a 6 LBC for 105's.

My current 6-6.8 is a 1 in 9 twist.

I don't really care for shooting 58 grain bullets. My goal is to shoot 70-85 grain bullets for coyote.

Do the BHW barrels come with bolt heads?

No they do not.

Greg

Originally Posted By: R Johnson I would order a 20" 1 in 9 twist and have it threaded to make it compatible with your suppressor.

I second that based on your bullet weights and no desire to shoot sub-sonic. Guys going back and forth have a challenge on that task.

Greg

The shorter your barrel ,, the Better it will handle with a 6 to 8" suppressor screwed on the end.
Example: A 24" barrel + 8" suppressor = 32" tube you be swinging around.
I cut my AR15 5.56 & Ar10-308 & Ar10-243 to 16".
You loose some velocity but they handle fast and furious!

Back