Male or female??

mt boy

I am getting ready to pic up a Mt cur. That comes from great bloodlines. Gonna try my hand at decoying. I have a choice between a male or female. Any suggestions. This dog will be around my young kids and neighbors pets. Does it really matter or just depend on the dog . Thanks

About 50% of the people I hunt with will swear by males and the other 50% swear by females. You will need good genes, good training, patience and luck to get a good dog to turn out. Go with your gut, give the dog everything it needs to succeed, don't get frustrated, and have fun.

I do think if you are going to just have 1 dog to get it done your chances of a lead dog type turning out are better with a Male. In my experience the lead dog is about 80% male and 20% female.

Spot, Kay, Baby and Girl Dog. All females all are pretty impressive. I can send you videos of all 4 if you'd like.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonSpot, Kay, Baby and Girl Dog. All females all are pretty impressive. I can send you videos of all 4 if you'd like. That would be great Shampton love watching your dogs work.. I went with a female pick her up next week..

I think it all depends on the line of dogs you go with. Most the time I like just females myself. But the line of dogs I hunt now I like both. If you are only going to have one I'd start with a male then you lose no hunting or training time with a female coming into heat.

Back