Hunting in Southwest Kansas

Oldred197

I just moved down to Southwest Kansas this summer and am looking for some good places to hunt in the area. I am looking for not just places to predator hunt but also places to do some hog hunting. If anything has any suggestions or tips that would help a lot?

Go to the local cafe around lunch or breakfast tell some local farmers/ranchers what your looking for and the positives of contolling the predator population, and offer to help them out around the place.

Take couple pounds coffee to local COOP will do wonders ----
Park up front so they can see and recognize your pickup later --
Thx

Might look into the regs on hogs in KS. You will be better off going south a state or two if you feel like you have to shoot pigs.

Asking for a guys good places to hunt is like asking his wife on a date.

The two previous posts nail it for getting permission in KS. Most local landowners are going to want to get an idea of the kind of person that is wanting on their land and it will take a while for them to get to feel like they are familiar with you. Be patient and remember that they are the ones making a living on their ground and that you are not doing them a favor by hunting on it, they are doing you a favor by letting you hunt.

If the previous suggestions don't help land you some hunting ground, then do some "road scouting", to try and see if you can find some ground that looks like likely hunting spots.
Make written notes of where the land is located (use road signs, ect).
Get a topographic atlas, and find the locations on the map, so that you can determine which township & section number the land is in.
Then, contact the county clerk's office in the county that the land is in.
See if they would be willing to use your info to look up who owns the property.
Sometimes they will, sometimes not.
Then go knock on doors.

Another option, once the new Fall 2014 WIHA Hunting Atlas comes out from KDWPT (check your local Walmart or sporting goods store)...pick one up. They are free.
Once you've determined an area you might want to check out, look that area up on Google Earth. That will give you a decent idea if the spots in your area of interest are worth checking out in person.
Trust me, it'll save you some fuel money!!

As for hunting hogs in Kansas....Sport hog hunting in Kansas was banned in 2006. As far as I know that policy has not yet changed.

why in the world would they ban hunting them? Are they trying to build the numbers up or trying to put farmers out of business?

kind of like Colo., the state of KS. doesn't want people bringing in hogs, releasing them, and then selling hunts. Both Colo. and KS. are being smart, IMO, and simply making hog hunting a no go. Both states are stopping the hog problem before it really gets out of control, like it is in other states.

I'm a bird hunter by 'trade', but have had decent luck just talking to the landowners of the spots we regularly hunt pheasant and quail at. I also utilize the walk in program NEG&P has. They have downloadable maps, as well as a pretty slick Google Earth app that allows you to get an idea of topography before you even set boots on the ground. Handy for figuring out shooting lanes, where to park, set up, and direction to work based on wind.

With the walk in areas, I'll sometimes ask for adjacent property permission. The few landowners I've approached have been pretty open especially since I actually asked for permission and most had livestock (chickens, ducks, goats) of sorts that has mysteriously disappeared, or are concerned about calves or their deer. Once they find out I'm not one of the slobs that seem to be the norm here, I'm fairly welcome. One even hopped in my truck to show me around his property and where he thinks they're at, and was almost upset I was being 'too careful' in his fields LOL. The slob coyote hunters are the guys driving around shooting into draws with 22s, and then throwing whatever they have at whatever runs out. Tearing up fields, cutting fences, etc.

Name drop, too. That's always helped with birds- can't see coyotes being any different. I try to jot names down on my maps since I suck at remembering names the first few times.

I use Google Earth to locate prospective hunting areas. I also talk to adjacent land owners from WIHA, as well as use WIHA as much as possible. Out west there seems to be a lot more WIHA than in my area. I've noticed that most people have no problems allowing a coyote hunter on their property so long as you don't come across as a sob. A lot of good advice here already but what I've come to know is that whether it's google earth or knocking doors it takes a lot of time and effort and gas.

Whereabouts in SWK? I've done a bit of calling out in the liberal, GC, dodge area.

Two and 3yrs ago were really productive and everything I shot out there was heavy and primed like crazy (for KS at least). Last year wasn't as good.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorWhereabouts in SWK? I've done a bit of calling out in the liberal, GC, dodge area.

Two and 3yrs ago were really productive and everything I shot out there was heavy and primed like crazy (for KS at least). Last year wasn't as good.
Don't know about out west but here in the east the puppies got hit with parvo real bad. I had a pretty bad last year as well. Only 10% or so of the coyotes I shot were 1st year coyotes. It's looking like this year will be different though. I'm optimistic anyway.

Originally Posted By: Oldred197I just moved down to Southwest Kansas this summer and am looking for some good places to hunt in the area. I am looking for not just places to predator hunt but also places to do some hog hunting. If anything has any suggestions or tips that would help a lot?

Unless they have recently changed the rules this you - hog hunting is not legal per say. Try this link

http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/kansas/

At one time you could go to the local cattlemen's association and get the needed paperwork and permission to hunt them - or exterminate them.

Originally Posted By: Oldred197I just moved down to Southwest Kansas this summer and am looking for some good places to hunt in the area. I am looking for not just places to predator hunt but also places to do some hog hunting. If anything has any suggestions or tips that would help a lot?

I'll send you a PM. If you know of some locations you want to hunt I know of a source (besides going to the court house) where you can find out who owns all of the land you are interested in. Most guys out in SW KS area (as well as the rest of the state) understand the need to decrease the coyote population.

Back