My LABOR (of love) DAY

Infidel 762

Staff member
Greetings;

Navajo believe the coyote is the badger's older brother... At times seen hunting together... Was morning that I saw coyote's younger brother disappear into a hole that leads to the lower world... Out of season and out of time my focus stays on the coyote who chooses to dwell among the indigenous surface people... Causing trouble in a more complex and promising world... allied with trickery and knowledge as with the crow and buzzard, in the capacity of the sky...

I set up on a sand ridge above the hole that leads to the lower world... Plumb thicket at my back and badger in the earth beneath my feet... The sound of my call cuts the crosswind... His potentiality for turning up unexpectedly is enormous but catches me off guard none the less... A minute or two after my first series, I scan to my right and there he stands in the tall grass... No more than 50 or 60 yards, sloth like I shift my body and sticks... CRACK-THUMP and he tumbles to the ground... I close my dust cover and notice my hand is shaking more than normal....

By nature coyote possesses a residue of cruelty and the refusal to submit to any kind of control... Any good he accomplished is fortuitous... Not unlike many men...

It's late afternoon and the Sun is at the line where the earth meets the sky... Unlike coyote the Sun's good deeds result in conformity and control...

As sure as the Sun's promise of night, I creep to my set-up for the day's last chance to match wits with coyote... Targeting YOYs my first 25 minutes where distressful... wrathful cries failed to influence her or she was simply keen to my ways... Very late in the stand I spoke to her with howls and yips... they were too hard to ignore...

It was there that;

“God granted me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change

The courage to change the things I can

And the wisdom to know the difference”

Very nicely written. Great job on the double. So would you say the presence of a badger might indicate a coyote nearby?

Originally Posted By: JoshuaNSo would you say the presence of a badger might indicate a coyote nearby?

Hey Joshua...I would not count on it… I have seen badgers burrow in the bar ditch along county roads… both are most active at night… during the day a badger may burrow next to a road and have many vehicles pass by literally feet away… most coyotes tend to bed down further away from human activity… I think any interactions between the 2 are accidental or opportunistic… they are actually competitors…

Back