Ring Lapping - Need advice!

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: fw707The points of the bars are totally useless for showing ring alignment.

Why are they useless for showing alignment?

Because the points can be touching perfectly with the bars out of alignment.

Turn each bar 180 degrees and put them back in the rings. If the flat ends line up and come together like a solid bar, then the rings are lined up.

Good `point`.
Thus far, the Leupold Rings I have used had L/R adjustment at the rear, and one of the two could be tweaked a bit for alignment.
Much better idea to use the flat ends, thanks for the `pointer`.

Originally Posted By: FishSqueezerThere is just enough clearance to slip a piece of notebook paper between the ring halves, so I won't be able to do anymore lapping.

Can always run the flats of the ring halves across sandpaper to give yourself some more room.

But at that little of misalignment, you'll be fine.

Oddly enough, I just turned my Wheeler bars on my wood lathe just for kicks, using an indicator against the end of the rods. My tails aren't perfectly square to the shafts, flipping things around, I showed better centering on the points than the tails would offer, since they're out of square. Might need to remedy that imperfection now, otherwise my brain will explode.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: FishSqueezerThere is just enough clearance to slip a piece of notebook paper between the ring halves, so I won't be able to do anymore lapping.

Can always run the flats of the ring halves across sandpaper to give yourself some more room.

But at that little of misalignment, you'll be fine.

Oddly enough, I just turned my Wheeler bars on my wood lathe just for kicks, using an indicator against the end of the rods. My tails aren't perfectly square to the shafts, flipping things around, I showed better centering on the points than the tails would offer, since they're out of square. Might need to remedy that imperfection now, otherwise my brain will explode.

Just a FYI, (in case you did not know), you would first need to run TWO indicators on the side and get the bar running true, in order to get an accurate reading of the ends. And perform this truing, before facing the ends.

Originally Posted By: fw707When you compare the Leupold stuff to the Picatinny rails and quality rings available nowadays, they are total junk.

I'd bet all day long that it is the CZ receiver and NOT the Leupold rings. This is nearly always the case with such issues. Ask any ring manufacturer. Off center receivers and/or holes are easily their biggest headaches.

I like rail bases also. But not for everything. Plus, they are not always an option. But let's face it, mounting issues are much easier solved with a windage adjustable ring, or even rotatable DDs for that matter, than with a Picatinny rail. The latter being only as good as the receiver on which it lies......

I must admit I have never lapped any rings. Admittedly I mostly use high end rings, but is it wrong to not lap rings? Certainly not trying to stir the hornets nest just was curious on the general concensus on this.

Lapping never hurts anything, it can only improve ring fit (as long as it's done correctly).

Some setups need it more than others. Why skip it? Do it right once and never worry about it again. It's pretty easy to do with a Wheeler kit etc.

Originally Posted By: IndependentI must admit I have never lapped any rings. Admittedly I mostly use high end rings, but is it wrong to not lap rings? Certainly not trying to stir the hornets nest just was curious on the general concensus on this.

I do not remember how many scopes I have mounted over the years, and I have never lapped any rings. It's the same way with "breaking in a barrel", someone is always asking the best way to break in a barrel, and the post will get a dozen different answers. I'm sure that there may be a little something to be gained by lapping the rings, but I honestly doubt that the average shooter will ever miss out on not doing so.

I bought a lapping tool. then i found Burris signature rings & never needed to lap anything.

My new AR, I went with a Burris PEPR solid mount. I thought about that tool & figured it likely wasn't needed.

I installed that mount & torqued it to specs, then I mounted the scope & torqued the cap screws to specs.

When I went to the range the horizontal was dead on. Barrel, upper, base & scope in perfect alignment. The only adjustment needed was vertical & I really don't know how much of that bc there was a guy at the range with a bore sighter who tried to help me. I gave the gizmo a crack at the problem (I'd never used one before & was interested to try).

I came way with the impression that the tool was junk, went back to doing things my way & got on paper pretty quickly. But he was nice & trying to be of help, so I didn't gripe any.

I have typically used Badger and Nightforce rings. I have a set of TPS rings on my big game rifle never lapped any of em never had an issue. Just curious why all the hubbub on lapping rings

Back