Feral cats

Originally Posted By: mike_bIt looks like I'm bringing this thread back from the dead again. Obviously you guys have some more kitty stories to share. I got my first of one this year las weekend. My wife made mention of the strange cat. Long story short, one more cat down!

If in fact I too have been shooting cats feral cats... Do you know where to find out the legalities of it... There was a cat around here that I am 99.9% sure is halt house cat and half bobcat..

I know what the reply will be, but I have had countless in my scope and finger on the trigger but just can't bring myself to squeeze! All I picture is a little girl or boy somewhere looking for their pet. I need a psychiatrist.

I have about 3 or 4 stray cats that come around my house on a regular basis. I've shot at the big tom cat once with my .22 but missed. (I know, I know) Now that one only comes around when I'm not home. The wife says he stares at the house like he's plotting revenge. Next chance I get he will be coyote bait...

My neighbors feed lots of cats , 0 birth control , 0 shots or meds ,population out of control. They used to come to my place and eat all of my wild birds and their babies , baby rabbits ,my best hen on the nest , killed whole clutch of chicks , pulled chicks through chicken wire pen and ate them , go into the back of my pickup and tear open trash bags and spread it all over at night before I get to the landfill. I said used to.....box trap and pellet gun / .22 cb's . Heave-ho ...over the back fence into the field. Population now in check with only one on the hit list...he has used up several of his lives with not many left. Jim

Originally Posted By: spidermanPopulation now in check with only one on the hit list...he has used up several of his lives with not many left. Jim

Good Luck!

I finally got my cat population under control at the ranch. It has been a month since seeing one. I don't even remember how many I shot. Mostly over cat food bait at night with the AR and laser designater. I've been working too hard at building the quail and turkey population to let something that doesn't belong there eat them. A big tomcat actually took down a yearling turkey hen behind the house. 100 yrd shot with my 22-250. I needed a spatula to pick it up. People don't realize the damage cats can do to the game that actually BELONGS there.

Last edited:
i missed an opportunity at a big ole tomcat yesterday, was leaving my wife's feeder with a male oriole in his mouth. ferals dont stick around long when they see you, just like any other wild critter

And here I thought I was the only one...LMFAO
Got in from turkey hunting today and the dog was begging more than normal to go out. So I figured he really had to go. NOPE beeline for the barn and instantly starts going nuts. We have been having trouble with coons this year so I grab the 20 thinking he's into it with a coon. Get into the barn and he is just digging away at the straw. I call him off and check the situation. Just as I do a black and white tom is sliding down the roof( I have some wind damage and 3 sections of steel are missing) hits the opening and tries to jump but a full load of bird shot hits him square in the chest and sends him flying.
Get that taken care of and then get the lawn mowed. Sitting having some lunch on the back porch and a mangy grey looking one steps out on the back trail. I reach in the house grab the 250 that sits right there and take the only shot it would give me, head on. 50gr V-Max not the best round for a quick clean up.

Side note I only started doing this because now my garage(that is attached to the house) now smells like cat pee.

I think about that same thing when I see dogs with collars on chasing cattle, just before I shoot them, why don't people keep their pets in the yard

This thread has cheered me up a great deal! I have a serious issue with feral cats AND neighbors cats. Paw prints all over my vehicles, left window open once had cat hair and urine smell, in summer time when you walk out the front door you immediately get hit with the urine smell from flower beds, sitting around the fire pit in bare feet sucks when you dig up a cat turd with your toes, the amount of song birds eaten is crazy....yesterday morning one of the Blue Bird house was sideways....I thought the bears did it. Nope....later I saw the neighbors cat on top of it swatting at the male as it dive bombed the cat...son and I were watching baby Robins bouncing around back yard and two cats pounced on them. I have shot many with my 22 short single shot...even with collars. Killed my neighbors last year...the woman was calling for that [beeep] thing every morning and night holding a bowl of food and tapping on it with spoon or something. You [beeep] fluffy is dead lady....decomposing in the woods 50 yards in front of you.....I hate these dang things. They are filthy! Covered in fleas and ticks.....so nasty I am surprised the bullet does not turn around and jump back in the barrel to hide instead of connecting with the mangy things!
Kill the Kitty!

Originally Posted By: XUSNORDY762X51This thread has cheered me up a great deal! I have a serious issue with feral cats AND neighbors cats. Paw prints all over my vehicles, left window open once had cat hair and urine smell, in summer time when you walk out the front door you immediately get hit with the urine smell from flower beds, sitting around the fire pit in bare feet sucks when you dig up a cat turd with your toes, the amount of song birds eaten is crazy....yesterday morning one of the Blue Bird house was sideways....I thought the bears did it. Nope....later I saw the neighbors cat on top of it swatting at the male as it dive bombed the cat...son and I were watching baby Robins bouncing around back yard and two cats pounced on them. I have shot many with my 22 short single shot...even with collars. Killed my neighbors last year...the woman was calling for that [beeep] thing every morning and night holding a bowl of food and tapping on it with spoon or something. You [beeep] fluffy is dead lady....decomposing in the woods 50 yards in front of you.....I hate these dang things. They are filthy! Covered in fleas and ticks.....so nasty I am surprised the bullet does not turn around and jump back in the barrel to hide instead of connecting with the mangy things!
Kill the Kitty!

Your post made me laugh. I been out of town a month working & got home 5 days ago. I've counted 11 kittens from 3 litters running around here. Already buried one! Maddening

Gotta be REAL careful knocking off the neighbor's cat. You just never know what people these days will do. Laugh it off if you want, I'm just sayin'.

If Mrs. Jones finds out it was you, then YOU could find out the hard way that her brother-in-law the lawyer likes to sue people just for fun. Ta-da, you have been served. Have a nice day.

Or you find out the hard way that Mrs. Jones' maiden name was Miss Gambino when her brother Vinnie "the Nutcracker" comes over to your place for a little visit. With a couple of his "associates" like Pauley "The Fist" and Joey "Steeltoes". "You done a baaaaaad thing there, my friend. Whatchu wanna kill my sister's cat for? I think you gotta be taught about respect, eh? You hurta the kitty, now we gotta hurta you. Badda Bing, bang, boom!"

Whacking dogs that are chasing cattle is a different deal entirely.

Personally, I like to keep a low profile and keep things in perspective. A cat crapping in a flower bed isn't worth potentially bringing down a ton of bad s#1t on myself. These days you just never know what people will do.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseGotta be REAL careful knocking off the neighbor's cat. You just never know what people these days will do. Laugh it off if you want, I'm just sayin'.

If Mrs. Jones finds out it was you, then YOU could find out the hard way that her brother-in-law the lawyer likes to sue people just for fun. Ta-da, you have been served. Have a nice day.

Or you find out the hard way that Mrs. Jones' maiden name was Miss Gambino when her brother Vinnie "the Nutcracker" comes over to your place for a little visit. With a couple of his "associates" like Pauley "The Fist" and Joey "Steeltoes". "You done a baaaaaad thing there, my friend. Whatchu wanna kill my sister's cat for? I think you gotta be taught about respect, eh? You hurta the kitty, now we gotta hurta you. Badda Bing, bang, boom!"

Whacking dogs that are chasing cattle is a different deal entirely.

Personally, I like to keep a low profile and keep things in perspective. A cat crapping in a flower bed isn't worth potentially bringing down a ton of bad s#1t on myself. These days you just never know what people will do.

Grouse

Grouse....no worries......her husband thanked me and bought me a beer. Most of the folks in my neighborhood have no tolerance for this. If they want to get froggy with me.....well....there is a county vehicle in my drive way every night and it reads ANIMAL CONTROL DIVISION....we know the law about feral cats, and even cats on MY property with collars. Lawyer?....hmmm....ok Mr. Lawyer, why was this cat not licensed and inoculated as per county ordinance? It was not....so, it is feral and free game for my little friend the 22 Short. PLEASE take me to court over it...my wife and I testify quite often as witness for the State. Yes it is legal to discharge said firearm on my property. No it is not unlawful pursuit or harassment of wildlife.

Don't get me wrong....we respect others pets. I have a rescued full breed American Pit Bull Terrier....who once in awhile breaks out and runs the neighborhood to greet and kiss everyone. However, we are on him immediately in chase. If he drops a poo poo hello on a lawn it is immediately cleaned up. Some others here have dogs that are "runners" as well.....and are on them immediately when loose and respect others properties. But these bleeping cats.....they run all over....if I let my dog run all over without any responsible control and somebody put a bullet in him.....shame on me for letting it happen. But everyone knows we will nab lover boy pit bull and all is cleaned up....but these cats....its crazy. I won't tolerate the damage they do to my property. We tried the humane thing.....the cages....and returning returning the things IF we knew who was feeding it...but too often the tag only says "pretty" or "Patches" or "Sheeba"....no tags required by law or address on the collar. The owners if found just let them run again......ridiculous....to make MORE!....you knowhow hard it is to find 22 shorts these days?

Last words and my rant is over...

KILL THE KITTY!

Rant off.

Last edited:
I just found this thread and I have to add a little story. Me and my brother had made a run to the store at about 10 o'clock for some refreshments and along the way we go past a pivot (my town has about 300 people). How convenient that my spotlight and 22-250 were in the back seat. Black cat crosses the road into the pivot and we decide he has to go. Brother puts the light on him and lets just say 55 gr JHP do work at 30 yards. Lol

I was doing some load testing/fun shooting yesterday with my new 20 Practical and I see a mangy looking yellowish cat come strolling out of the timber area that I hunt. Big mistake kitty!

Now I know what a 40 grain V-Max running about 3500fps will do to a small critter at less than 100 yards.
wink.gif

Slightly off topic; I work in a super market, i had a customer "no speaky engrish" kept coming through and he'd buy like 20 cans of cat food a week, I was just thinking how many cats does that dude have? he came in one day and started screaming at me non-stop, he finally calmed down enough to tell me that he had been buying the cat food thinking it was tinned cat, not food for cat; dirty bugger had been eating it, I got sent home cos i couldnt stop laughing and the dude didnt appreciate it lol.
Our tonwn also had a chinese restaraunt right next door to a pet store, asked the lady why she never had any kittens and she told me that next door kept knocking em off, they didnt realise who was stealing em until they found a bag full cat skin in their shared dumpster.

After moving to the city for college this year i couldn't help but notice how many dang cats people seamed to have. After class on my way back home i saw a few of the little felines and decided to see who the local hoarder is an follow them. Turns out the abandoned house down the street a ways seemed to be crawling with targets. Being from the country the ol redneck in me kicked in shooting feral cats has always been a blast. I Immediately searched the pantry for some bait and grabbed my .22 pellet rifle (Always have to have a gun of some sort around). Having found some tuna i laid my bate about 10ft from my kitchen window which conveniently has a motion activated outdoor light above it then turned on some football. [beeep] you not all i had to do was wait for the light, grab my gun, and pop them. Took 4 the first night and since then I've knocked 12. My neighbors whom cut through my driveway to the main strip finally pieced together the missing cats and the blood spots in my drive, and actually thanked me with a case of beer. These things were crawling with flees an looking at them i felt as if i was doing them a favor. Turns out the dang cats have been causing problems for a few months now. City folks just didn't know how to handle em and boy was i glad to. Nothing beats some fun cheep target practice in the city.

Back