Wolf bullets

Thanks! I heard that if you used a 6 PPC or .243 it's good to use a FMJ and have the bullet travel sub 2,800 fps. That way you can use it for wolf or smaller critters like fox without excessive pelt damage. I want to use a .300 Win Mag for log distance wolf work. The only FMJ I can find are in the 150 grain and they aren't going sub 2,800 fps. Not that I plan on shooting a fox, just thought it might help with pelt damage. Thoughts?

Don't use a fmj it will cost you in one way or another, by either giving you a long track job or hitting bone and blowing a huge hole in them. Stick with a midsized rifle and a solid bullet and you will be fine. I couldn't hardly see where I hit mine and I hit it fairly high in the back and thought it would of blew him up, but didn't. Wolves are big and can take a bullet without much damage.

Mid Sized? I guess that depends on where you live. Small rifle in Alaska would be 30.06 or .308.I'd like to have a .243, but that's not what I have for wolf hunting yet.

Last edited:
Well shoot them with whatever you got and a solid bullet and you will be fine, dead is dead and unless you shoot them with a missle i don't think fur damage will be much of an issue

A 22lr hollow point will kill a wolf if hit correctly. It all depends on personal preference and your ability to make correct shot placement. I use a 22-250 on coyotes and shot a nice white tail buck with it last year at 400 yards using 50 grain nosler ballistic tips. Its shoulder mount is now on the living room wall. If I was hunting strictly for wolves in Montana most of the time it would be while hunting big game and I would have my 7mm Rem Mag with me, if I was coyote hunting and happened to call in a wolf I'd still send a 22-250 its way. Hope this helps good luck

Silver bullets
sneaky2.gif

I hunted wolves for the first time last winter. I never killed a wolf but a man I our group did. He was shooting a 30-06 with Barnes 180gr bullets and he hit the wolf in the middle of the left hind quarter and the bullet quartered into the wolf angling through his hind quarter steep up into his body with no exit wound. He traveled for several miles in deep deep powder (3-4ft). I found where he had bedded up and I had jumped him nearly 2 hours after the shot he lived for about another hour before the trackers tracked him down and finished him. I was using a caliber similar to a 243ai shooting 95 gr bergers after seeing that I kinda felt under gunned. We never gutted the wolf to see what kind of internal damage was done but I looked him over for quite a while his left rear leg was broke high up inside of his hind quarter I'm not sure but maybe his hip is what was busted up. But anyway after seeing that when I go back up there I will be using a little bigger caliber or a stiffer bullet and I will be pushing that baby as fast as I can push it to create the most damage I can. I hear what your saying about wanting to shoot a fox or something like that too but I would try to bring two rifles with if that is the case. I'm sure on a flat broad side shot or a less quartering shot that wolf would not have gone anywhere but sometimes you don't get a perfect shot and u take what u can get on animal as elusive as a wolf. Good luck to you!!

Wolves aren't any harder to kill than coyotes. I know of 6 that dropped to 223's this last year. A yote will go a long ways to with a hit to the rear. Hit them in the front with a good soft point or hollow point and it's game over.

I worked up a half MOA 62gr ttsx load specifically for wolves, I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I feel confident this will do the job.

I worked up some 64gr Nosler Bonded Proteted point, they were around 1/2 MOA too, I'll be trying those too.

A good deer bullet is a good wolf bullet. That simple. Everything else comes down to who's finger is on the trigger and where they put the bullet. A 223 is more than enough, but your shots will be limited and there's a good chance of a long track. A 7mm rem mag(my personal choice, and the choice of all 3 wolf guides that I know), 25-06, 30-06, 308 etc just opens up more shot possibilities with less tracking. Ultimately, it's whatever gun is the closest when you see one.

Most folks here will use a .220 Swift, .22-250, .17 HMR or .223 with a light bullet to prevent pass-through which lowers the value considerably. I used to work with a guy that used a 12 ga. and #4 buck. He caught 10-12 a year.

Originally Posted By: NitromanMost folks here will use a .220 Swift, .22-250, .17 HMR or .223 with a light bullet to prevent pass-through which lowers the value considerably.

17hmr? dont think so buddy. unless it was in a trap.

You can try the 150 gr fmjbt. Try a slow powder that will boot them out at 28-2900 fps. . Sure can't hurt to try. But. I'm thinking a.smaller cart would be better. 243 with 80 gr bullets. Ect.

Back