Skinning tools

243win4569

I've been contemplating getting every thing I would need to put up my own fur this next year. My question is what all do I need? I'm getting a nice knife, A pack skinner from Rainshadow, but after that I need some help. I'm trying to get a list so I can price to see if it is attainable. Thanks for the help!

It all comes down to how many different species you'll be putting up fur for, how much resources you have to make your own gear, and to what end purpose you will be preparing the fur. You'll need at the very least a fleshing beam, stretcher racks, a good selection of knives and fleshers, a production area, and storage space. If you're doing yotes or other larger animals, you're probably also going to want a way to hang them for skinning because it makes it a LOT easier; it's also easier for small animals, but not quite as imperative. Finishing materials and consumables (brushes, sawdust, tail tools, various powders, soaps, flea/tick treatments, washing tubs and buckets, drop sheets, etc.) vary depending on your location, working area, and the season.

If you have a wood shop, you can make the majority of the supplies you will need yourself very cheaply. If you are putting up furs for personal use and do not plan to case them, you don't even need to make stretchers. During the winter I stretch on peg board in my basement, and during warmer weather I rack out on an old chain-link dog kennel in my back yard, but I don't sell my furs. But if you're sending off to auction and have established that you are capable of a consistent take, you're going to want to have a good selection of stretchers on hand because each fur is likely to be on them for several days. The rest of it is really up to what you find works for you in your space and what you are working with . . . you're going to need a lot more soap, peroxide, and wash bins for example if you are putting up ten skunk a week as compared to a couple of yotes a month. So that sort of thing is answers only you know.

Last edited:
1. All skinning essentials (a nice knife, tail stripper, gambrel (skinning machine if you wish), tail splitter)
2. Fleshing beam
3. Fleshing knife
4. Appropriate Stretchers and all associated materials (push pins and belly boards if using wood)
5. A place to hang them with appropriate temperature and ventilation
6. Lots of patience and self control as you WILL nick and devalue hides

Alright finally got back to this thread and I appreciate all of the answers! I will take all of this to mind in deciding if I can get it done or not. Thanks again.

Some kind of gambrel ready to go at home.
A drag or some way of hanging them up in the field if you decide to
A tail stripper- this is a must
A good knife- stay small or a scalpel ( I won't use anything else- 4.00 stainless handle, blades 0.15 each, boxes of 100)
A single hand flesher and necker
Fleshing beam
Saw horse
Wood or wire stretchers ( have several)

Originally Posted By: bemart02So is there a best time to skin out a coyote? Wait till you get home? Better to do it in the field?

If you have the time to skin them out between stands they peel easier when they are warm. Some guys like to run and gun all day and skin at night. Some guys like the comfort of their garage and others are okay with using a fence post in a -10 degree wind chill. Each to his own and no right or wrong.

Originally Posted By: bemart02So is there a best time to skin out a coyote? Wait till you get home? Better to do it in the field?

havent skinned a yote yet, but everything ive read on tman is to skin them warm, they are alot easier. can anyone confirm?

Originally Posted By: 07yzrysderOriginally Posted By: bemart02So is there a best time to skin out a coyote? Wait till you get home? Better to do it in the field?

havent skinned a yote yet, but everything ive read on tman is to skin them warm, they are alot easier. can anyone confirm?

Yes it is true

How about portable skinning rack that attaches to receiver hitch? Anyone have a inexpensive one they could suggest for skinning coyotes in the field?

This is made out of chain link post. Had the bends done at a muffler shop. They did it for free. Cost about $50 to put together. It also collapses to fit in the bed.

Brendan, that set up is perfect! My dad and I were just talking about making one similar to yours. How does it collapse? Did you just drill a hole in the pipe to attach it to the receiver hitch?

Originally Posted By: bemart02Brendan, that set up is perfect! My dad and I were just talking about making one similar to yours. How does it collapse? Did you just drill a hole in the pipe to attach it to the receiver hitch?

You have two pieces with 90 degree angles in them. The one that fits in your receiver, and the one you hang your gambrel on. They both slide over a straight vertical piece of pipe that's one size smaller. I have holes drilled through both sets at every six inches then run a carriage bolt and wing nut to hold them where I want them. Traveling, I remove the carriage bolts and collapse it. It is drilled out at the hitch for normal attachment but because it's round, I jam two wooden wedges in the receiver to hold it still. It works fine but if you can weld, I'd go with square tubing. I have a neighbor who's gonna help me do that.

Thanks

I think it's a great design and am going to try to make one similar..... Maybe Just a one piece model Is what I thought

Back