Vortex Diamondback...is anyone using them?

JohnMcGowan

So I see a local place here has a Vortex Diamondback in 3.5x10x50 on sale for $149. Im needing a scope for a new Armalite AR10 in 243 Win. Has anyone here tried these Vortex scopes and if so, what did you think, good or bad? Mine will be used for yotes and deer, and maybe some mid range 300-500 yard paper punching.
Thanks in advance.
John

I put one on a hunting buddies 30-06 for him and sighted it in. For a 250 dollar scope (normally) it is pretty nice. It tracked well and has held zero so far. Between what he and I shot it has only about 40 rounds on it so I don't know how it will stand the test of time. 149.00 dollars is a steal on that scope. Vortex warranty is top notch as well.

I also have a diamondback 4x12x40 and it's a decent scope. A great scope for the money. Although this is my first and only vortex scope, it seems to have more magnification than a 12 power scope. I can hardly tell a difference (in magnification) between it and a 6x18 power vari-x II on another rifle. Go figure.

4X12 here too. Zero problems to date. Had my AR fall out of my buddy's pick up onto the asphalt during a pis stop landed on the scope scraped the finish and left some nasty scratches. Took it out next day zero never changed. Rifle was undamaged as the scope took 99% of the hit.

Last edited:
I have a Diamonback in the 3-9x40 configuration mounted on my Tikka T3 22-250 and really like it. The eye relief seems a little short, but I remedied it by mounting a picatinny rail and rings. Great scope for the money...

I don't have a Diamondback scope, but I have 3 Vipers. One 2.5-10x, and two 4-16x, scopes. Very nice optics for the price. I did have one of the 4-16x(HS-T MRAD) scopes come from a vendor with the side parallax adjust stuck solid. I called Vortex, they e-mailed me a overnight pre-paid shipping label, I shipped it in the box the vendor shipped to me, and had it back in my hands, repaired two days later. Needless to say, I was impressed.

So I will be buying more Vortex optics. My wife has a set of Diamondback 10x42 binocs. She really likes them.

Squeeze

I've never had a Diamondback... but I've owned a number of Vortex Vipers. Keep your eyes open.. A slightly used 4-12 isn't much more money than a new Diamondback and is a definite upgrade according to Vortex.

Ive seen them in the $2-250 range. A slightly used 4-16 can be picked up for $325-375.

That's a good by on the 3.5-10 x 50 at $149. I have had one for around four years. Good clarity and field of view.

Have a diamonback on my girls .223 had an issue with the first one but that's a long story and I'm 99.9% sure that the issue is due to store negligence (dropped) than vortex QC! It tracks well, and is very clear. I have an has HS-LR on order along with a 6.5 Creedmoor, should be here next week when the gun guy gets back from vacation

I have the same Vortex Diamondback on a .308 that does an outstanding job at the range and in the field. I also have a Viper PST on an LR-308 that does great at the range, but has of yet not been to the field. My only critique of the Diamondback is that the crosshairs are a bit thick for long distance paper punching when compared to the Viper. They are both excellent scopes though, and I wouldn't sell my used 3.5-10x50 Diamondback for $150 if that tells you anything.

-BANDIT

I have a Diamondback 4-12x40 mounted on an old Stevens 200 in 223 . The gun and scope have been treated rough around the farm and the scope has held up just fine . Its a nice clear scope for 179.00 I paid . It's got to be 4 or 5 years old and gets used a lot around here with a lot of knocking around and still holds zero . My brother has a 3-9 Diamondback on his muzzle loader and has held up fine also . The best deals I have ever found for a scope of it's quality and price .

I have one a 22mag. Good scopes. I have the 3-9x40. They have good glass for the price and the adjustments are right on. Dropped mine a few times and it rides with me everywhere in the truck and hasn't lost zero.

Back