Be ready 32 seconds

g Bo

Did a quick stand today. Felt pretty good about the location and wind. Felt like I was in undetected. Started with a low distress to kinda see how it sounded. Looked down to possibly change sounds. 32 seconds coyote appeared on my right twenty yards peering around a sage brush. I moved abit and yep you guessed it. Gone! back into the brush didn't ever get my benelli shouldered, whoops. Be ready. Every time is different and an adventure. I've killed a bunch of coyotes but it's always different, but hey! That's what keeps is coming back, right?

When using a shotgun while calling coyotes you should never move until you are going to shoot.

When I take pictures of coyotes coming in to my Foxpro I hold my camera in front of my face the whole time during the calling stand. If I moved the camera up to my face to take pictures after I spotted the coyote, the coyote more than likely would see that movement and be gone.

Your first movement you make after you see a coyote when using a shotgun is the movement to shoot the coyote.

I never shoulder my shotgun until it is time to shoot.

Movement is just as important as scent. Movement causes more coyotes to spook than being sniffed.

IMO sitting still until your ready to kill something is just as important as the wind or camo pattern. If you move it doesn't matter what the wind is or what pattern your wearing Old Wiley will bust you on movement quicker than a New York second.

Bob, I've always wondered how you got those shots. Do you use an SLR? How do you get around the shutter noise? Turn it off maybe? Haven't played with mine, but I imagine there's a way to silence the digital shutter sound.

I always do it like turkey hunting. My shotgun is on my shoulder and on the shooting sticks pointed in the general direction I hope the turkeys will come

One of my first stands made with a hand call in 1976, I was using an 870 with a 30" full choke barrel. My hunting partner had never seen a coyote called in, and I told him they were tough as nails to put down.

We had the good sense to use camo gloves and face mask from our Duck and Goose hunting.

He sat down about 30 yards from me.

I went Waa Waa Waa on a Johnny Steward PC-1 hand call, and a coyote came bust'en around the corner and brushed the end of my shot gun that was laying in my lap. The shotgun was falling off my lap and I grabbed it and shouldered it in an ungraceful motion, almost falling off my bucket. I gave him a shot up the tail pipe as he disappeared around a greasewood with 3"#4 buck.

Within two minutes, my parner stood up and emptied his Ithaca on another, shot him to pieces. I walked over to him and he was out of breath! He thought the coyote was coming after him in his hard charge. The coyote had rolled up to within 10 feet of him.

All this took place in 3 minutes tops, two dead coyotes. If I had kept calling, we would have probably got multiples.

When you blow a call, you better be on your game.

Last edited:
Similar story but no shotgun and rifle was on 10x or something stupid definitely not at a power that could kill a coyote running in from the direction you just walked no more than 25 yards away, and within 2 mins of sitting down. I was so jacked up I couldn't even or didn't want to stand up in hopes of it coming back around. I certainly wasn't ready for that at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: obaroI have learned the same lesson in much the same way. Don't start the music 'til you're ready to dance.

+1. Be there done that and bought the t-shirt
smile.gif

Back