Optics help

yotesmoker51

I know this probably belongs in the optics section but the scope will be for varmint hunting. I'm really wanting to buy a vortex scope. With so many factors in play (FFP vs SFP, Mil/Moa, illuminated reticle or not) I am torn on which one to buy. Scope will be on a .223 heavy barrel ar and I will be shooting out to probably 400 yards at yotes and smaller game. What would y'all recommend?

Whatever Vortex you buy will be a good investment. Just don't go too cheap as you will just be putting more money in for the upgrade you will want. I know this from experience. Vortex is all I use.

Good scopes aren't cheap. I think it's true in you get what you pay for. Shots out there a ways you might want something that has turrets. Ffp or sfp is up to you, I have both and like them both.

If you buy a duplex practice hold over. I have a coyote silhouette target thats the average size for our coyotes and at 300 yard's I have to hold at the top of the ears with my hunting load. Took a few round to find the sweet spot but I figured it out. 300 and under hold over will suffice for longer range I have a ffp scope with mils and turrets. You can see the hits on the leg as I walked my hits up the coyote

Last edited:
Check out some of the new Leupolds. They are MUCH better than they used to be. I picked up a VX-R for an AR I have. Good scopes for the price.

I have a vortex viper psp ffp 6-24 on my rem 7mm it is an excellent scope! I actually just used it to shoot 1000 yards for the first time! Ebr-1 mo a reticle is excellent. Can't go wrong.

Ive got 2 of the cheaper Vortex Crossfire II both in 4-12x40 with the BDC reticle. One on a 243 & one on a 204. I paid $189 for each of them & have hunted in snow/rain/ice/heat you name it. I haven't had a single complaint. The glass is plenty good for out to 600yds & they have held up very well all things considered. They do have the resettable turrets which is something I wouldn't do without now that ive had them. The reticle is good too, not too busy but does have windage & drop hashes both.
I have converted quite a few of my hunting/shooting buddies over to Vortex from other higher priced scopes. IMO theres nothing in the $200 range that's on par with Vortex.
The Vipers are super nice as well but are about 2.5 times the cost...Im wanting one in 4-16x with the dead hold BDC reticle

Back