opinions on top tier scope

Kind of on the same subject what is a good ffp reticle for hunting. One reason I'm really liking the march is the thickness of the beams at low and at higher powers the reticle doesn't look too thick.

I cannot imagine using such a scope for hunting. But, to each their own.

March optics are very impressive. The glass is simply outstanding IMO. But, truth is, I have only looked through a few at the range. Never owned one......

The beauty of deciding which 'Alpha' type glass to go with is, you can't make a bad decision.

It will probably boil down to which reticle you prefer, not who's glass is better, as they all have great glass.

if you turn the elevation knob up and down the the marks start to not line up with each other.my buddy called leupold and the guy there did it with the same results,so how could you use it to adj. for elevation or windage. look at one and try it for youself idon't say bad things about stuff for no reason,i have leupold scopes for years until they started having problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehunterif you turn the elevation knob up and down the the marks start to not line up with each other.my buddy called leupold and the guy there did it with the same results,so how could you use it to adj. for elevation or windage. look at one and try it for youself idon't say bad things about stuff for no reason,i have leupold scopes for years until they started having problems.

Oh you must mean those plastic knobs that pop on and off... The ones you replace with free CDS turrets with the coupon in the box?

So the whole scope is junk because of a plastic knob?

Those are not meant to be used as a turret in the conventional sense of the term. We talked about this in an earlier thread, its a hunting scope, not a tactical scope. Those turrets with the factory knobs were not meant to be cranked back and forth like some would do to a Mark 4 or a Nightforce for instance. I can tell you when you replace them with the CDS turret (that are made of metal with very nice engraved lines) it does repeat and stop on line and return to zero online. There was nothing wrong with the internals of the scope like you claimed.. its the plastic printed pop off turret you had issue with.

I'll explain how they work. Here's a pic.
8e811a5b218f8478b3e128949af9f28b_zps2765fe97.jpg

The geared ring screws down to the top of the naked turret with the turret stud sticking out of the top of it. The knob then snapped onto the stud and the gears meshed between the knob and the ring base. This is how they were able to build it so they could be reset to zero using no tools. The lines are not printed on the sides of the plastic but on-top, (after all, remember its a knob that's covered with a cap) That makes lining them up a bit more difficult. You can see that using the factory set up as a tactical style turret would be far less than a perfect condition. Expecting them to operate as such is leaving one self open to disappointment. You and your buddy were expecting far too much from a printed snap on plastic hunting style "covered turret"

For 98% of the people who buy this "hunting scope" it works perfectly. Most set it, screw the scope cap on and never mess with it again. If you do replace them with the CDS turrets its a much better set up and can be used for applications like you mentioned.

I have one question. Since when does leupold make top tier scopes? I have a Bushnell 6500 right now I love for less money. If I wanted opinions about a scope in that class I'd ask for opinions in that class. Being that I'll never own another one, I'm not looking for leupy opinions. Sorry if if the torques people a little too tight but if someone asked for an opinion of a dodge viper I wouldn't try to sell them on a Camero.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89I have one question. Since when does leupold make top tier scopes? I have a Bushnell 6500 right now I love for less money. If I wanted opinions about a scope in that class I'd ask for opinions in that class. Being that I'll never own another one, I'm not looking for leupy opinions. Sorry if if the torques people a little too tight but if someone asked for an opinion of a dodge viper I wouldn't try to sell them on a Camero.

Your thread went a little sideways but you helped... Here's your post from a page back where you asked me about the VX 6. So in fact you did inquire about a camero.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Furhunter do you have a vx6? I've heard great things about them. How does it compare to the ones I listed if you do? The closest reference I have right now is a z5

You should go back and re-read your own posts before being a Richard Edward about it.
Funny how a week ago you'd heard such great things about the VX 6 but as of last night you won't own another Leupold..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotask question. get answer to question. cry about answer. internet stuff is funny.
smile.gif

+1000

that is what i say slicker,if you need to turn a scope up for longer shots and the lines on the turret won't line up how can you depend on it. the last scope i bought from leupold was a target model and after it kept moving off zero i called leupold and the rep told me that because my truck bounced around the scope was not meant for that abuse i thought wow what happens when i shoot it my truck don't bounce that hard

Van you use night vision? If you cannot use night vision or artificial light I would buy something low power range with a large objective. I don't think you will gain much going from 1000-3000 at night without light. I have a 3k Zeiss that I use with my PVS 26. Nice scope but not worth the money difference for what it is used for.

First of all I asked furbearer a direct question about a vx6 he answered with his opinion. Nowhere in the original post did it ask for opinions on a mark 4 or vx 3,III. SOME people drive bentlys to work in the morning, is it needed? Of course not, can it be wanted? It sure can. I know I don't need a march or s and b on a hunting rifle and need isn't what its about. Or am I the only person here that spends more money than what is needed on a hunting outfit? Do you need a custom rifle or will a 250 dollar Walmart 223 do the trick 99% of the time? Anything you shoot with a vx___ can also be shot with factory provided pos 99% of the time.

By the way fur, thanks for you answer I saw a vx6 at swfa last week and it seemed pretty darn nice. Might end up trading my 6500 in on one, just not the scope I'm looking for on this build.

Last edited:
And no, we can't use artificial light here in ks, but 3/4 to full moon id really like to stretch the distance I can verify dog coyote etc. I also have some hunting ground around a large city that the city lights on a cloudy night will illuminate things quite a bit.

Back