Good starter loads for Savage Predator in .223?

Hellbilly_SD

Does anyone shoot a Savage Predator in .223? I'm looking for somewhere to start with my hand loads. What's shooting good out of them that won't ruin any pelts this winter?

Thanks

What twist rate?

There are several good powders for the .223. Benchmark and H335 work well with 50-60 grain bullets. Get yourself a reloading manual if you don't already have one and GO BY THE BOOK to work up your loads. I can't recommend a bullet that is easy on fur. We shoot 60gr VMax and it is anything but fur friendly. If you are using Hodgdon powders they have a reloading manual online.

1:9 twist rate. I don't have access to any manuals right now and was just checking to see what others had had good groupings with in that rifle.

Originally Posted By: Hellbilly_SD1:9 twist rate. I don't have access to any manuals right now and was just checking to see what others had had good groupings with in that rifle.

RELOADING RULE #1: Read the manual. Twice. Verify the load. Twice.

Just a heads up: Don't ever shoot a load that you are told about on the internet unless you can verify from a manual that it is a safe load. Not even here. There are valid experts on here that know exactly what they are doing. And while I am all for sharing information (which I am going to do), typographical errors can get you hurt. Go to www.hodgdon.com and you can find starting and max loads for the .223 with their powders. No purchase necessary - It's free. This will cover you on Benchmark and H335. Am I going overboard and being overly cautious? You Betcha! Load safe and be careful.

To answer your question: My best loads in my 1/8 twist rifles are mid-pressure loads of Benchmark and H335 with 50 or 60 grain bullets, with a BR4 primer. As I built up towards max pressure loads the accuracy diminished.

My pet loads:
22.5 grains Benchmark / 60gr VMax (very accurate, mild)
22.5 grains Benchmark / 60gr Partition (very accurate, mild, good hog load)
25.0 grains Benchmark / 50gr Sierra Blitzking (good PD load)
26.4 grains H335 / 50gr Sierra Blitzking (max load)

These loads may or may NOT be safe in your rifle. Most are moderate loads according to the manuals and show very little or no pressure signs in my personal guns, and are very accurate out of MY rifles.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: Hellbilly_SD1:9 twist rate. I don't have access to any manuals right now and was just checking to see what others had had good groupings with in that rifle.

RELOADING RULE #1: Read the manual. Twice. Verify the load. Twice.

Just a heads up: Don't ever shoot a load that you are told about on the internet unless you can verify from a manual that it is a safe load. Not even here. There are valid experts on here that know exactly what they are doing. And while I am all for sharing information (which I am going to do), typographical errors can get you hurt. Go to www.hodgdon.com and you can find starting and max loads for the .223 with their powders. No purchase necessary - It's free. This will cover you on Benchmark and H335. Am I going overboard and being overly cautious? You Betcha! Load safe and be careful.

To answer your question: My best loads in my 1/8 twist rifles are mid-pressure loads of Benchmark and H335 with 50 or 60 grain bullets, with a BR4 primer. As I built up towards max pressure loads the accuracy diminished.

My pet loads:
22.5 grains Benchmark / 60gr VMax (very accurate, mild)
22.5 grains Benchmark / 60gr Partition (very accurate, mild, good hog load)
25.0 grains Benchmark / 50gr Sierra Blitzking (good PD load)
26.4 grains H335 / 50gr Sierra Blitzking (max load)

These loads may or may NOT be safe in your rifle. Most are moderate loads according to the manuals and show very little or no pressure signs in my personal guns, and are very accurate out of MY rifles.

Hope that helps.

Great post...... Right up until you caved and gave him the loads he was looking for.

I've made it a point to try not to share my specific load info with the exception of bullet and powder. I'd rather see these guys do their own homework instead of shopping for it on the internet. They might be surprised as to what they learn along the way.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter
Great post...... Right up until you caved and gave him the loads he was looking for.

I've made it a point to try not to share my specific load info with the exception of bullet and powder. I'd rather see these guys do their own homework instead of shopping for it on the internet. They might be surprised as to what they learn along the way.

Well, I did at least cover that point by telling him TWICE that he can get the info from Hodgdon for free. Although I do agree with you ... these guys need to get off their backside and do their own research. Asking about a certain powder, bullet, etc is great but asking for load recipes is just lazy.

There is a lot more to choosing a load that just seeing what other peoples rifles are shooting well. Most hunting or varmint style bullets will be very accurate in most rifles but the best part of reloading is making a load that does what YOU need it to. That said, the amount of good bullets in 22 cal is nearly endless, as is powders for the 223. For most coyote hunting anything in the 50-55gr range works great at 223 velocity out to around 350 yards or so. I have always favored the Nosler BT for its awesome accuracy but have been having very good results with Speers 52gr HP lately too, never had a pass through with it & its shoots sub MOA. H335-W748-CFE223-4895 have all gave me good velocity & accuracy out of multiple 223's

Good shooting!

Also, if you are planning on keeping your shots under 200 yards don't overlook some of the 40-45gr bullets, in a 223 they can get up in the 3500fps range and shoot laser flat. Nosler makes a BT and a new flat based tipped 40gr that is super accurate from my 1:9 twist 223's

Originally Posted By: FurhunterIn my 223 rifles, any bullet at or over 60gr gets pushed by Varget.

I am in the same camp on this one...62 grain ttsx with varget = MOA accuracy just below max load.

Coming out of a win 70 heavy barrel in .223. Data available on barnes site also I believe.

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GrubbyBoyOriginally Posted By: FurhunterIn my 223 rifles, any bullet at or over 60gr gets pushed by Varget.

I am in the same camp on this one...62 grain ttsx with varget = MOA accuracy just below max load.

Coming out of a win 70 heavy barrel in .223. Data available on barnes site also I believe.

Good luck

that's a great bullet and all but he was wanting a fur friendly load I believe, in which case the barnes ttsx may or may not be, but it would definitely pass right through a coyote I would think

Back