Tikka vs Winchester M70

I have both and have worked on many of each. My Win M70 featherweight classic from FN in 270 shoots awesome, repeatedly keeps groups at 1/2 to 3/4 inch with hunting bullets, has a decent trigger and best of all NO Plastic! My Tikka is a 270 WSM it is a 1 to 1-1/2 inch gun and alot of PLASTIC. I got it in a trade, the trigger is the best part of the gun. I have worked up loads for several guys with both these type of rifles and both will shoot well. The Winchester will hold its value far better and is a very classic rifle with very good parts in it. The Tikka is a bottom of the line, bare bones rifle with a good barrel on it and a clean trigger, after that there is not much for quality in there. These are my opinions of the two, if I had the money I would by the Winchester every time.

Nice paint job.
thumbup1.gif
If Picasso painted a dog turd it would still be a dog turd.
wink.gif

Quote:Tikka and Savage shooters may think it is a revered piece of art,I would think it is still just a piece of sh!t.

clearly shows the value of your opinion,

Looks to be some touchy Tikka guys out there, I just gave the man my hands on opinion of the two so he can make his decision a little easier. Let us know what you get OP, we look forward to hearing back from you.

I don't think there being touchy; the OP asked for advice on a Winchester M70 or a Tikka T3, he deserves to get a non-biased opinion. Certain comments that were posted were clearly biased and misleading, giving the OP the wrong impression on a great gun.

Originally Posted By: jlh321Tikka and Savage shooters may think it is a revered piece of art,I would think it is still just a piece of sh!t.

I'm with Bushy and Tripod, when I read your comments like this that old saying about everyone having opinions and them stinking comes to mind....

I have had 3 Tikka T3's, still have 2. I really like them for what they are. A reasonably priced, light weight, good shooting rifle. I'd rate them high on value and functionality. The last one I bought is a 243, which I plan to use as my truck gun. Hard to scratch or mess it up, easy to handle.

I haven't owned a M70, but I'd think Winchesters reputation is hard to argue with. If you want a wood stocked rifle to own for many years to come, couldn't be too bad I choice...

Originally Posted By: bushyno... it would be a revered piece of art and worth more than your house.

Probably worth fifteen or twenty of his houses bushy..
I just had gotten my eyes un-crossed from the last time you posted that picture. If you stare at it long enough that camo jacket almost has the shape of a rifle in it lol.

I think they need to add a new forum on here for people with bad attitudes who like bashing other members comments. I been cought up on a few of those post here and decided it just isn't worth it and feel it has really lowered the quality of Predatormasters forum from when I first joined.

That said, my opinion on the original post is that a Tikka offers price, performance and value. I have three and no plans to get rid of any of them. I think the Tikka does everything except giving you that feeling of nostalgic attachment i.e. Remington 700 CDL, Winchester, Ruger M77 II, etc. My last Tikka is the Hunter model with the wood stock. It's closer to the old school style I like and maybe that is something you might consider. The Hunter version is a nice rifle if your tired of plastic.

Some people drive to work in old Dodge's and Fords, some drive Cadilacs and Escalades. Whatever works for you. Though if someone does ask for an opinion, sometimes an abrasive or mean one spews out.

Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzLooks to be some touchy Tikka guys out there, I just gave the man my hands on opinion of the two so he can make his decision a little easier. Let us know what you get OP, we look forward to hearing back from you.

I think it has much less to do about a brand and more to do with uneducated responses from trolls.
Nobody has to like any brand.
Hands on experience is very helpful.

I own several Tikka rifles and they are very functional 4-wheeler types of guns. Reasonably price, typically shoot real well, but not much in the "nice to fondle" category.

Winchester bolt riles tend to have those same traits with the exception that the "fondle factor" is connsiderably higher. Pick what suits your needs best and move on. Asking the internet as to what rifle YOU should buy is like going into the grocery store and letting other customers fill your shopping cart with several hundred dollars worth of food that you may or may not like to eat.

Originally Posted By: BOWLSEYEI think they need to add a new forum on here for people with bad attitudes who like bashing other members comments. I been cought up on a few of those post here and decided it just isn't worth it and feel it has really lowered the quality of Predatormasters forum from when I first joined.

That said, my opinion on the original post is that a Tikka offers price, performance and value. I have three and no plans to get rid of any of them. I think the Tikka does everything except giving you that feeling of nostalgic attachment i.e. Remington 700 CDL, Winchester, Ruger M77 II, etc. My last Tikka is the Hunter model with the wood stock. It's closer to the old school style I like and maybe that is something you might consider. The Hunter version is a nice rifle if your tired of plastic.

I have purchased 3 Tikkas with wood stocks and prefer wood. Although their wood stocks can be a little softer wood and easier to ding.
I wish they sold more wood stock models here as 8 out of 10 times I will grab a wood stock rifle when I head out.

I have two Winchester model 70 heavy varmints, one in 22-250 and the other in 308. Both guns shoot amazing. I've shot my buddy's Tikka. And I didn't think it shot as well as my 70. But I'm a little different , so I've been told
smile.gif

Back