Who's ready for dove season?

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Starts here next Monday. I hope to get out with the family for a few shoots this year.

What about y'all? Any good prospects?

Grouse for me. (Our season starts on the first)
Me and my dogs are headed to the woods for 4-5 days next Wed. after the labor day crowd thins.

Luck with the Dove.

Ah grouse. I recall fondly eating many grouse as a kid when we accompanied my dad on a long work assignment in Wyoming. I wasn't old enough to hunt them at the time, but the memories are etched firmly in my mind to this day. Someday before they're all gone I hope to chase them.

Best of luck to you as well. I did enjoy your photos from last year.

been waiting since last years opening day, all of us shot our limit. This year I'm not sure what to expect. We've had some cold rains come in and push them south. Really don't want to travel 4 hours to shoot Dove. We'll keep our fingers crossed. What really surprised me last year was how well those Mojo Dove decoys work. You could see the Dove change direction and come right into the decoys. I even had em coming into a dry water hole in the afternoon. Fun times!

I'm not gonna get to dove hunt this year. No where to go that doesn't cost $100. I'm starting an outage Sept. !3. My day off will be Sunday. Since we can't hunt with a firearm on Sunday in NC, I guess this will be year three that I don't even buy a NC hunting license.
cry.gif

Can't wait to get out in the west texas desert and shoot some doves. Even better sensation when they're wrapped in bacon.

I'll be out Monday afternoon. Gotta give the new A5 a workout. Wish we could use the electric mojo dove here, the wind powered decoys just plain suck.

Our group of four put the hurtin on them this morning. 4 man limit by 10:30. Dog had a blast. Good times we're had by all.

Doves were tough today. The monsoon storms must have really moved them out og the Phoenix area. Only hit 105 today so the temperature wasn't too bad. Got a couple of ponds out of the rain. I'll hit those later in the week when there are less shooters. I killed seven today. Only missed three so not bad.LOL

Greg

That's what we did Greg. Last weeks rain left us a small water source that the doves couldn't resist. Seven is better then 6. I fried up a few tonight. Delicious I tell you.

Well, not a ton of public shooting land here, unless you're willing to drive 2+ hours for it. I'm hoping that my honey hole (yeah, I scouted for doves...) is still there this morning. Legal shooting started ten minutes ago and I'm headed out!

lots of water holes to choose from, no Dove in the air. Not sure whats going on here in central NM, but no birds this year, at least not yet. Didn't get off one shot opening morning. I'll see how the afternoon hunts go next Friday.

I hope my luck changes today.... last few years doves like crazy... opening day this year ..... 1 ..... but we did see 3 or four off in the distance. ..

Back