What cover scent for coyote hunting.

first, put all your calls on a lanyard, then put the lanyard around your neck.

now take a spray bottle of urine -2, one in each hand is better- and wave them around while you spray yourself down. Think about those guys in the Axe commercials.

Now, you're all scented up & ready to go & all your calls have urine on them so they'll taste great when put to your lips.

I usually roll around in our feedlot for a few before I take to the field... nothin like the smell of... Money
wink.gif

I snatch my wifes used lady supplies. it usually gets those big males really fired up. I learned it from an old timer who told me that nothing works better on those males than a B*&%# in heat......wait did he mean dogs? huh

There is a lot of funny comedy here.

But, for those that are serious, for a moment or new, You can't fool a Coyote's nose.. They only need 2 parts per Trillion to smell you.
To put this in perspective, you could put on a Chemical weapons suit with mask and wash down, and the suit would still give you away, as it's permiable suit and wouldn't be able to filter to the level of 2 parts per trillion.

With that said.. In my Opinion, based on everything that i have read and investigated. Coyotes have smelled people before, and while they get nervous, they don't solely hunt based on their nose. Mostly, but not completely. There are things that you can do to limit your scent you are leaving behind, but a spray that you put on yourself isn't going to cut it. There are certain weather conditions that are going to make it harder for a coyote to pick up scent. Some days you are going to be tougher to smell than others.

It doesn't hurt to work toward increasing a coyotes confidence and could be viewed as worth while efforts to use a cover scent. One of the best uses of cover scent, I have read about and used with sucess, is to have a spray that you spray a small burst into the air above the call.

I look for a stand where i have elevation advantage and a view. I try to have a place where the coyote that wants to come in from the down wind will have to expose themselves to get to the call and cross infront of me to get to the call. (usually at 20yrds from the call) I make sure that i can see the call and have a shotgun pointed at the down wind to be ready. I have seen the coyote come in following the sound and from the downwind. As soon as they hit that scent, it seems to confirm the sound with the visual decoy and they drop their head and run in.

But, in contest mode, I am not sure that i would say its something that you really want to take the time to do, as I am focused on getting in on the stand, set up quietly, and then getting out fast to the next stand.

You guys are doing it all wrong if your cover scent isn't working for you. The trick is to drink the rabbit piss or skunk spray, whatever ...In turn, every time you perspirate or pee, your covering your scent. I call it piss scent infusion. Don't take my word for it. Get out and try it. Also, doe estrus is great for deer season, but watch out for those rutting bucks; you may get loved tenderly.

Originally Posted By: coyotekillerNEYou guys are doing it all wrong if your cover scent isn't working for you. The trick is to drink the rabbit piss or skunk spray, whatever ....
LOL! Does that explain the look on your avatar's face?

Originally Posted By: basdjsOriginally Posted By: coyotekillerNEYou guys are doing it all wrong if your cover scent isn't working for you. The trick is to drink the rabbit piss or skunk spray, whatever ....
LOL! Does that explain the look on your avatar's face?

Yes! I mounted that fox with the look he had before he died. Draw your own conclusions about what he was smelling.

I read somewhere where a guy would take Juniper Berries and some sage and rub it on himself. I have some Juniper Berry essential oil and I was thinking about giving it a try...or sticking my camo in a trashbag with some juniper/sage bush stuff in it so it takes on some smell of that so the coyote at least has to sift through my scent mixed with that.

Course I'm a chick and a newbie who doesn't know jack.

Everyone is trying to coverup their stinky bodies. Wont work. The trick is to put scent on your decoy so that the dog smells it before it smells you. At that point shoot.

Back