NH Hunting September

rp_carr

Curious if anyone on here hunts NH predators in September? Any hints? I know coyotes are open year round but also see that a lot of other furbearers open September 1st. I have been doing my usual deer scouting and not sure if it is just me but I have been seeing more predator sign (especially coyotes) than I have ever seen. Everynight I can hear them in a spot I have been deer hunting for years. For some reason I am also seeing more fox and raccoon on my game cameras than I have ever before. I just picked up a refurbished wildire 2 and am thinking about going out Monday. I am surprised more people do not take advantage of the season though I realize fur is not prime.
I was initially a little hesitant to hunt near where I deer hunt but I know I have hunted squirrels/waterfowl very close to where I deer hunt and it did not seem to spook them. Any tips on hunting predators in September, specifically types of calls? Anyone else hunt predators before deer season before where they hunt deer? Thinking about bringing my .270 as using deer rifle seems like good offseason practice. But I must say it just seems wrong going in the woods with a .270 in popular deer spots in September. Realize it's legal but I have never seen a rifle predator huntirt during bowhunting season and can't help but feel paranoid the bowhunters will think I'm poaching deer.

AS long as you have some predator calls with you I wouldn't worry at all about people thinking you are poaching. Go to where you are hearing them everynight first thing in the morning, try some prey sounds first and if nothing comes after 20 minutes or so try the pup distress.

Back