New 6.5 Grendel

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Had this project in the works for a while now, some delays on both ends but it's here now & ready to go. SD Lightweight Hunter. Carbon fiber forend, 20" barrel. Went with a Timney 3lb trigger, feels great. Will hit the range this weekend:

quite a few mods hunt with AR's, including some suppressed. I've long had a Colt NM Target I call with, but it's not a flat top, it's heavy & I wanted a calling rifle. After shooting one of these I decided that's what I wanted but put it on hold.

Then Sandy Hook happened & the gun grabbers went nuts, so I figured I didn't have to be in a hurry but I did need to stop farting around & start moving on it, even if slowly.

It's my first custom, but I doubt it will be the last.

You made a great choice. The suppressor thing has not bitten me but Arizona just OK'd them for hunting. I am torn as they also did the same for big bore airguns.

Greg

Same here, AL just made them legal for hunting. Now I want one LOL

Gonna have to wait a while, next up I have to finish an Ar for my wife. I've built the lower, need to pick an upper for her.

I have 100 rounds of Hornady factory ammo to get started with, and I have 100 new pieces of Hornady brass with an assortment of bullets to try. Will use AA2520 and CCI 450 primers.

Cool you got that finally, over a year in the works IIRC(?).
Looks nice a nice calling rifle, and something 6.5 might very well be my next choice too.

Just wanted to ask this question since were on the subject of Grendel. I wonder if it would be possible to neck down to 6mm in the Grendel cartridge for a little more speed to shoot the 105 grain bergers. Just curious..

There is a 6mm Grendel, I don't think it's a factory round. Scott made a batch of 6 Grendel uppers a few months ago.

Stu is right, the 6mm is not a factory round but if you reload RPG can build you one up. I have had one for a few years now and it a real shooter..

Originally Posted By: ICU22-250Just wanted to ask this question since were on the subject of Grendel. I wonder if it would be possible to neck down to 6mm in the Grendel cartridge for a little more speed to shoot the 105 grain bergers. Just curious..

Ther is no 6 MM Grendel per se. The ture 6.5 Grendel runs a compound throat not avilable in any 6 MM variant that I am aware of. What does exist is what is referred to as the 243 LBC. It is the 6.5 case necked to 6 MM and it runs a single angle throat.

BHW has been doing it for about four years now. The round is uber-accurate and an easy one to make. I've shot one extensively at 500 with good success and will be wringing out a 26" Savage 243 LBC BHW tube in the next few weeks. It will most likely be my 1000 yard rifle. With a 95 grain SMK the ballistics are unreal as Ritch discovered in his load work ups.

Greg

Good info. I hadn't heard of it until that discussion & was too far invested in this project to change. I could see adding an upper later to work with...

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishGood info. I hadn't heard of it until that discussion & was too far invested in this project to change. I could see adding an upper later to work with...

I know a guy that can deliver a 243 LBC in a nominal five weeks and be glad to do it for you. He designed the BHW 243 LBC so he does know a bit more about it than just running a reamer in a barrel.

Also I have plenty of load data for sharing if you decide to go with one. It is BHW barrel specific so you would be ahead of the curve with it.

Greg

"I know a guy" LOL

Between guns & scuba diving I'll never have any money
wink.gif

Back