Always concentrate on your shots

g Bo

I've killed 14 coyotes over the last few months. Should have killed about 5 more. It seems when I have a shot over 200 Yds I do better because I know if I'm not right on I will miss. I have missed several standing shots at 100 Yds. It probably has something to do with coyote fever. I am getting calmer and just need to relax and make ALL my shots count. This is easy to say but sometimes I feel like a schoolboy on my first date when one is coming in, I. WILL STAY CALM. Pick a small spot on each coyote and squeeze the trigger. On my longer shots I always take more time and use a monopod shooting stick on the rear of my gun to steady it up along with my shooting sticks on the front. I have bow hunted all my life, am 57 yrs old, have several animals in pope and young. I am a seasoned hunter, but with all that said, I gotta tell ya honestly this coyote hunting is awesome, challenging, fun, sometimes disappointing, but every stand that produces an appearance of fur is a different episode. Anyway how do you all stay calm?

I missed 10 last year, the year prior to that I hit almost every shot, this year I am 0/2, not cool, figured I was not staying on scope (follow through) need to work on that..watching for tips to break this streak

Coyote fever got me a couple times last year. They were coming in and I was already thinking about the picture I was going to send to a couple buddies. I forgot to take my time and pick a spot to aim, I just got the crosshairs on them, squeezed the trigger and peeked over the scope to watch them drop. Instead of watching them drop, i watched them run off. This summer I have been concentrating every time I go to the range to stay down on the gun and watch the hits through the scope. Hopefully it will help this fall when I get fur in the scope again.

Here's a suggestion that works well for me. Pulling the trigger is just another step in a lengthy process where each step in critical to a consistent hit. No steps can be skipped. Either knowingly or unknowingly, we tend to get so familiar with that process (think muscle memory)we begin to skip steps. When we skip steps sometimes we hit (and are falsely rewarded)other times we miss. So our hits become inconsistent. When that happens, we start to look at other external and internal causes that we can blame-bullet, powder, weather, optics, freezing(fever), etc. Sometimes, I need to get back to basics. Here's what helps me, it sounds pretty friggin stupid, but, [beeep] it works. Talk the steps out loud. It starts on the range and transitions to the field. Literally, say ie. "target","grip","breathe", "sight", "breathe(in)" "trigger", "Breath(out)","slack","bang", etc. Depending on your training the process/terminology obviously varies, but, there's a process all the same. When I begin ti miss, I go back to basics. Talking them out loud resets my process.

I usually try and tell myself, "It's just a coyote" over and over...seems to help calm the jitters a little bit

I am terrible with coyote fever. I have a hard time settling down when they start coming in. I guess that's why I enjoy going out and hunting them.

For me it's just like bow hunting deer. Don't look at the whole animal. Just pick a spot. Sure I miss once in awhile, that's hunting. But generally speaking if it's a doable shot, I get it done. Pick a spot and send it. Lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatShotgun.....
YES ^^^^^
thumbup.gif

This is a very important,if not the most important aspect to getting fur down!
I got a tip from a very accomplished shooter..he says live inside the scope when shooting.
Never occurred to me until I tried it out..wow how much more focus you have.
I always take a deep breath in and out after something has been spotted.Then try to think of my breathing other then the critter coming in.Tends to entertain your brain and not let it wander.
Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By: RottyI missed 10 last year, the year prior to that I hit almost every shot, this year I am 0/2, not cool, figured I was not staying on scope (follow through) need to work on that..watching for tips to break this streak

I had similar problem this last season. Turned out to be a bad scope and I was blaming me.

I focus on my breathing mainly. I focus just on the spot I intend to shoot. Once I have it I got half a breath and hold. Just keeping my mind on the basic steps helps me with the jitters.

Every time you miss...do 50 push-ups you'll be suprised how quick you will start to shoot better. Seriously ,you answered your own question- when you take that little extra time to place the bullet- it will hit the mark. When they are close we tend to hurry a bit. Keep shootin....

Back