Locator calls

I have locator sounds that are just loud. I usually turn on the locator for about 5-6 seconds the turn off. Most off the time yotes howl back. How long after locating them should I wait before going on in and getting set up for calling?

For me, I usually hold off until the next night and move in on them around the same time of night. On the rare occasion when I can’t hunt the next night I will move in immediately. I try to angle from where I think they are and not walk directly towards them from where I had just used the locator call. I use the wind to my advantage and if the wind is not right I save them for another night. Honestly though, I reserve using locator calls to a minimum and do a lot of pre-scouting instead.

Generally I avoid using a howler solely to try to locate them. Instead, I get setup where I want to hunt and go through my normal routine which will likely includes some howling. If I get a response and they are within 1/2 mile or so I will stay on that stand at least an hour. Many times they will eventually move in your direction so you don't want to be trying to move toward them. If I get a group howling back to me beyond that range I will make a mental note of where they are and that is normally my next set. This works very well but only if you know the terrain well and you give them plenty of room (stay 1/4 to 1/2 mile away). You will be surprized at how fast they can cover a half mile. Kevin

Back