savage 22-250 reloading issue

Sounds to me that you should start new and forget about the sketchy past.

Start with known minimum data and work up. You will be fine.

Things happen sometimes.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessSounds to me that you should start new and forget about the sketchy past.

Things happen sometimes.

I have smokeless, but now im wondering what is going on in my rifle? Or if the chronograph was nutty, what kind of fps can be expected over 24" barrel data when running 26" barrel....ill re chrono some loads with the chronograph further out and see what happens. I run 90% of my loads at or near minimum. Because I dont need a bomb in my hands. I like my body parts where they are!

Originally Posted By: SmokelessSounds to me that you should start new and forget about the sketchy past.

Things happen sometimes.

This thread is nutz!!

Burn your notes - you will never make any sense of them.

Start all over again, and keep detailed notes.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: SmokelessSounds to me that you should start new and forget about the sketchy past.

Things happen sometimes.

This thread is nutz!!

Burn your notes - you will never make any sense of them.

Start all over again, and keep detailed notes.

I have already catshooter, I have printed out probably 40 pages of data from hodgdons site including that sent to me by barnes, it lists all of hodgdons powder for select bullets, will be cross referencing from now on between manufacturers books and hodgdons data.

My notes include: powder type, charge weight,coal to .001, bullet type, number of turns on dies for neck sizing, and or crimping dies.... shooting data is limited to group size and distance, just got the chronograph so that data will be added to that subset. Anything I am missing?

Originally Posted By: varminter185 Anything I am missing?

Yea,
If your going thru all the time and trouble to work up a new load... Do it with a better bullet. Don't crimp them either.

I cant see just pitching what I have. That is wasteful, but I'll work up an acceptable load for now and restart when these are gone. Ive had good luck with noslers in the past, been eyeing the hornady a-max too.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter185...

This is something to remember.

ANYTIME the bolt lift changes, it means that brass is flowing, and that is ALWAYS a very badd sign.

Did you get that info from the reloading manual that I READ when I first started reloading?
wink.gif

Don't know if this will help but my savage 22-250 has been having problems with the 36 gr varmint grenade pill. I have had several blown primers and stuck bolts shooting this bullet with minimum loads of 4064 and Varget. I quit loading these bullets and pressure problems ceased. The problems were intermittent, sometimes the rounds shot very well and then a blown primer without rhyme or reason.

Im seriously considering changing. But I have 100+ rounds of 36 and 50 grain vg's. What would be a cheaper alternative, I was eyeballing the 40gr nosler ballistic tips.... I was also wondering if full length resizing would be better than neck sizing?

Don't FL size your brass unless you picked it up at the range. Brass fire formed in your rifle needs neck sizing only. I won't shoot 36 gr.'s any more I think they are too long and light for the min charges listed. Like I said when I stopped loading that pill I have never had another pressure issue in that rifle with any other max or min load.

Something to ponder.... Dangerous high pressure can also be achieved by loading BELOW min charges.

Undercharging causes detonation rather than a controlled burn, the 1 grain under did not show pressure signs. It was the one at actual minimum load that exhibited the signs, anyone know if cabelas takes back components such as these un opened?

Originally Posted By: varminter185Undercharging causes detonation rather than a controlled burn.

Myth #173.

Under NO circumstance, can smokeless powder be made to detonate. It is not chemically possible.

Smokeless powder is not a detonant, it is a deflagerant.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterSomething to ponder.... Dangerous high pressure can also be achieved by loading BELOW min charges.

Nonsense!

Dangerous pressures can only happen if you stick a bullet in the throat, and that requires very unusual circumstances.

tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: varminter185Im seriously considering changing. But I have 100+ rounds of 36 and 50 grain vg's. What would be a cheaper alternative, I was eyeballing the 40gr nosler ballistic tips.... I was also wondering if full length resizing would be better than neck sizing?

Dang! I would shoot a bullet suited for a 1/ 12 twist 22-250 if I wanted a 22-250 . I would get a 204 or some kind of 17 If I was into to shooting tiny ineffective bullets. Simple life.

We have been around this thing and kicked the tires from a lot of different perspectives with not many answers.

Is it possible that operator error is involved? Is there a chance that you might have made a honest mistake somewhere in your technique? Just asking.

Well, I cant say that there was an operator error in reloading but I cant say it didnt happen 100% certain. Im rather meticulous. And my load was within established minimums. However I did return the 36 vg's since they were sealed and I had the receipt... switched to 50 grain v-max's to try!

Originally Posted By: varminter185Hmmm, ive read it in numerous reloading manuals... is that just an effort to reduce liability?

It is a myth. Unproven in labs but is theoretical.

They also say not to load over max. Almost every load I load is over published max. They are safe guidelines. Not the final word.

Ever notice how wide they vary from book to book? There is no loading Bible.

Back