New brass removing jacket material during seating?

spotstalkshoot

I have some 29 gr kindler .050 boattails that are being damaged during seating op. Brass is new nickel R/P outside neck measures .192 av before and after neck size. Inside neck .170. Neck wall varies from .010-013. My 556 formed brass av .196 after neck size, inside .170,.011-012 thick and is not scaping jackets. Why are the inside same but outside no change is this new brass not sizing?

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI have some 29 gr Kindler .050 boat tails that are being damaged during seating op. Brass is new nickel R/P outside neck measures .192 av before and after neck size. Inside neck .170. Neck wall varies from .010-013. My 556 formed brass av .196 after neck size, inside .170,.011-012 thick and is not scraping jackets. Why are the inside same but outside no change is this new brass not sizing?

The sharp edge of the neck can score bullets - I have pulled 30 calibre match bullet fron brass that was chamfered with a 14° VLD Chamfer tool... and nickel is harder than brass or gilding (jacket) metal.

I do not chamfer anymore - I usse the Lyman "M" die, but they don't make it in .17 cal.

If you can find anything that is conical at the point, and use it to make a light flair to the mouth, that will solve the problem.

Also, backwards chamfering can work too. (turn the tool counter-clockwise in the mouth).

May take a little time to make something to flare the mouth. I annealed 10, ran them back through the neck sizer, they are now .194 . Loaded three felt smooth during seating. Will see how they shoot before more loading. Thanks I know I have learned more from you guys, my groups get smaller and more consistent.

Another thing to watch for is a concentric ring around the ogive of the bullet from the seater stem after seating a bullet. This is usually caused by excessive neck tension and as others have said can be remedied by annealing. Is this a 17 rem or 17-223? The nickel cases makes me think 17 rem but the formed 556 makes me think the latter.

Originally Posted By: K_V_VAnother thing to watch for is a concentric ring around the ogive of the bullet from the seater stem after seating a bullet. This is usually caused by excessive neck tension and as others have said can be remedied by annealing. Is this a 17 rem or 17-223? The nickel cases makes me think 17 rem but the formed 556 makes me think the latter.

The concentric ring is caused by the sharp edge of the mouth of the seating stem - it can be polished to a rounded edge, with a bullet and some very fine valve grinding paste or #600 wet-n-dry carbide paper.

Cal. 17 rem,556 brass I purchased for 25/100 formed to 17rem. Nickled brass New bulk from powder valley 45/100. The 556 to shoot through my ar15 in the winter ( so I don't need to search for brass in snow ). After talking to Todd Kindler I bore paste my old(1985) rem 700. I shot some Kindlers loaded in the formed brass and they were all under 1moa, so I decided to try the factory brass. That's when the seating issue occurred. Shot the 3 annealed .359, 3 non-annealed .313,556 brass .530 the 2 rounds with the visible scraped jackets about .56 apart but velocity much lower. Scope is a straight 6 Leupold so I feel good about the way it is performing.

use a very, very deep chamfer on 17's, not just a deburr!

Lubing the inside of the necks with motor mica will help, Hornady sells the tool and mica, cheap fix.

Non constant neck tension will kill accuracy on a 17, which drove me insane. I finally ordered a turn neck reamer and turned the necks on my brass. The results were some of the most dramatic in my reloading career. I instantly started shooting groups were all the bullets were touching in the group.

Last edited:
Back