Found a new area

JoshuaN

I went for a ride this evening and right before the sun set I located a group using a howler diaphragm. Looking forward to getting out this weekend and hopefully put some fur on the ground.

Hey just getting to locate dogs here in Utah is a chore so getting them to respond and formulating a plan to hopefully put fur on the ground is enough of a find for me.

I think you're hunting the wrong spots dude, I'm a rookie (1st year) and have seen/called in at about 1;2 ratio. Now I just gotta connect

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: HunterTannerI think you're hunting the wrong spots dude, I'm a rookie (1st year) and have seen/called in at about 1;2 ratio. Now I just gotta [url=connecthttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/icons/default/rolleyes.gif][url=connecthttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/icons/default/rolleyes.gif]connecthttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/icons/default/rolleyes.gif[/url][/url]

What part of Utah are you hunting? Public or private? I find your comment hard to believe. Also based on your lack of posts that include fur on the ground either it really isn't true or you need to adjust your scope. I have called in coyotes 5(I also just started hunting in February) that I'm aware of 1 that I missed because I was so pumped on adrenaline, 1 that was so close and ran through so fast I didn't know what the [beeep] to do, and two that are now permanently on a dirt nap vacation.

A guy has to post pics of all his dead coyotes or he is dishonest? It is not at all unrealistic to call a coyote at every other stand. A lot of very experienced callers will tell you that they have had streaks where it was a coyote or two at a dozen or more stands in a row, then it will shut off and be 15 or 20 twenty blank stands. One of the calling contests I have attended has had guys see more than 20 coyotes in a day and a half of daylight calling.
Right now through about the month after the first hard freeze should be the easiest times to have success, in theory. The YOY are dispersing, haven't developed their hunting skills much, and are looking for friends. After the freeze the insects and fruits will be gone as a food source, and the calling should theoretically peak. The youngsters that don't starve will still be easier call into a free dinner. The calling will generally get tougher as the winter goes on as the population decreases and the survivors get smarter/educated. The guys that are killing coyotes the whole winter and early spring are the ones to talk to about how it is done.

Originally Posted By: JoshuaNI find your comment hard to believe.

Stick with it, but try to be a bit more open to the possibility of far greater success than you have seen so far. Someday you may have reason to not only believe that's possible, but to know that it isn't even unusual. Killing a coyote for every two stands made isn't unusual. Let alone just seeing one. On a really good day, we'll see more than one coyote for every stand made. Heck, on a really-really good day, we'll KILL more than one coyote for every stand made. I've killed more on one stand, by myself, than you have called in for your lifetime so far. Twice! You can believe that or smoke it, I don't care. But the point is, you don't know chit about chit yet and would do well to open your mind to the possibilities.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAA But the point is, you don't know chit about chit yet and would do well to open your mind to the possibilities.

- DAA

somebody needed to say it.

the other side of the coin is if i only made 2 stands and see 1 coyote it is a 1:2 ratio. oh well who cares.
smile.gif
come on cold temps.

It was a smart [beeep] comment that I didn't appreciate. Now if the ratio includes 2 stands made and he called in one coyote then I guess it's possible.

DAA based on your length of time hunting/being a member of this website I can definitely believe that.

My point is I don't appreciate comments and an attempt(multiple times = FAILED) to include an emoticon that shows the kids immaturity(he's apparently only 16 based on other posts). More of a troll move to be honest. I was just posting about being excited I found a new potential hot spot and yet again there's always trolls lurking around the corner on this site who feel the need to post some sort of negative crap comment.

Originally Posted By: obaroA guy has to post pics of all his dead coyotes or he is dishonest? It is not at all unrealistic to call a coyote at every other stand. A lot of very experienced callers will tell you that they have had streaks where it was a coyote or two at a dozen or more stands in a row, then it will shut off and be 15 or 20 twenty blank stands. One of the calling contests I have attended has had guys see more than 20 coyotes in a day and a half of daylight calling.
Right now through about the month after the first hard freeze should be the easiest times to have success, in theory. The YOY are dispersing, haven't developed their hunting skills much, and are looking for friends. After the freeze the insects and fruits will be gone as a food source, and the calling should theoretically peak. The youngsters that don't starve will still be easier call into a free dinner. The calling will generally get tougher as the winter goes on as the population decreases and the survivors get smarter/educated. The guys that are killing coyotes the whole winter and early spring are the ones to talk to about how it is done.

I don't need to see pictures of fur on the ground but I also don't need to read some punk kid posting garbage either. I'm looking forward to easier hunting and I started at the end of the season and it's been a rough time and the area where I live is a very high pressure zone IMO all year long. Hoping this new found area will bring me success. I guess we'll see this weekend.

Excited is good. I like it - a lot. It's why I read your posts (I don't read very many here, to be honest...). It's fun seeing a new guy with so much energy and enthusiasm. Keep at it the way you are, and you'll have a LOT of this stuff figured out for yourself in just a couple years. You'll get there.

I'm just trying to say, do realize, that you do have a lot to learn, but that it won't be that long, before you'll look back on this and realize seeing coyotes on half your stands is no big deal. Early season, say seeing five coyotes in a day you make ten stands is just a normal "good" day, nothing unusual.

I don't consider myself above average, I'm just a garden variety recreational caller like everyone else, so I really don't have much to offer in the way of "teaching". I have no secrets or special knowledge. But, one thing I may be able to leave you with here that I guarantee will help you in the long run if you remember it. It's this:

How many you see, is only one half of the score and it is NOT the important half. What is important, the number you want to keep track of, the one you want to improve on, the one you want to be proud of - is how many you KILL out of how many you SEE. Or put another way, keep track of how many get away and strive to lower that number.

Too many variables involved to make a blanket statement about what is a good percentage to strive for. But for the conditions I typically hunt, which I suspect is the same public ground high desert you do, I'm not happy killing less than 80% of the coyotes I see WHILE ON STAND. That's not counting coyotes I see in a pasture I can't shoot in or coyotes that run across the road. Just the ones I see while on stand. If I'm not killing at least 80% of the coyotes that I SEE come in to my calls, I'm not happy.

I fully realize that under different conditions a much lower number would be considered very good. That's just my number, for my normal conditions.

Seeing them is great and all, but it's not the point. Better to see three and kill 'em all than to see ten and kill two.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAExcited is good. I like it - a lot. It's why I read your posts (I don't read very many here, to be honest...). It's fun seeing a new guy with so much energy and enthusiasm. Keep at it the way you are, and you'll have a LOT of this stuff figured out for yourself in just a couple years. You'll get there.

I'm just trying to say, do realize, that you do have a lot to learn, but that it won't be that long, before you'll look back on this and realize seeing coyotes on half your stands is no big deal. Early season, say seeing five coyotes in a day you make ten stands is just a normal "good" day, nothing unusual.

I don't consider myself above average, I'm just a garden variety recreational caller like everyone else, so I really don't have much to offer in the way of "teaching". I have no secrets or special knowledge. But, one thing I may be able to leave you with here that I guarantee will help you in the long run if you remember it. It's this:

How many you see, is only one half of the score and it is NOT the important half. What is important, the number you want to keep track of, the one you want to improve on, the one you want to be proud of - is how many you KILL out of how many you SEE. Or put another way, keep track of how many get away and strive to lower that number.

Too many variables involved to make a blanket statement about what is a good percentage to strive for. But for the conditions I typically hunt, which I suspect is the same public ground high desert you do, I'm not happy killing less than 80% of the coyotes I see WHILE ON STAND. That's not counting coyotes I see in a pasture I can't shoot in or coyotes that run across the road. Just the ones I see while on stand. If I'm not killing at least 80% of the coyotes that I SEE come in to my calls, I'm not happy.

I fully realize that under different conditions a much lower number would be considered very good. That's just my number, for my normal conditions.

Seeing them is great and all, but it's not the point. Better to see three and kill 'em all than to see ten and kill two.

- DAA

The most I've ever seen in a day is 4 maybe 5(may have been more than one but I was so excited to see the one I just can't say for sure) so I'm looking forward to learning more and figuring out exactly what gets them running in for dinner only to take a dirt nap permanently. I've been hunting almost every weekend for the last 6 months and have learned a ton. The place I found the little pocket of coyotes howling and kiyi'ing was in an area you've previously mentioned in posts long ago and even then before the bounty the pressure issue was being mentioned. I'm going to formulate a plan to sneak into the area and hopefully bag one or two. I long for the day when I call in a double just to have the experience, LOL. If you're ever itching to hunt I'm just up here in Ogden and usually hunt alone and company is always welcome.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti have a feeling 1 day of hunting with daa would be worth around 2 years of trial and error.

I put out the invitation I would love to go with someone experienced any time [beeep] I'll take the day off midweek if that's what it will take.

I have been invited calling several times by novice callers (not that I am a pro, just have been doing it quite a while) wanting to learn how I do things. I have absolutely no problem showing them what I do, what I use, and how I do things. The problem is they always want me to show them WHERE I do my calling; that is not going to happen. I will gladly go with them to their stomping grounds and try to help them be successful. If you want some one to show you how to be successful in your area, plan on taking them to your spots.

That's the crappie part about hunting public land. Is other people go in and educate them and half the time they don't realize it. It's part of why I try to get out farther from the roads than most. It means less stands in a day but higher odds.

Originally Posted By: obaroI have been invited calling several times by novice callers (not that I am a pro, just have been doing it quite a while) wanting to learn how I do things. I have absolutely no problem showing them what I do, what I use, and how I do things. The problem is they always want me to show them WHERE I do my calling; that is not going to happen. I will gladly go with them to their stomping grounds and try to help them be successful. If you want some one to show you how to be successful in your area, plan on taking them to your spots.

Yeah that makes sense. Maybe you have a spot that is marginally successful most of the time that wouldn't be a big deal to take someone too. I don't think that would be a big deal IMO.

I went out yesterday with a buddy and unfortunately the wind got the best of us the entire day and it was pretty much a bust. I enjoyed getting out but due to the wind we just couldn't get anything solid to happen. We saw one dog while we were driving out of one of the stands, and I'm pretty sure he was headed our way but because of the wind we thought it was a bust. It was a big dog too and my buddy did get a shot off but missed.

Originally Posted By: obaroI have been invited calling several times by novice callers (not that I am a pro, just have been doing it quite a while) wanting to learn how I do things. I have absolutely no problem showing them what I do, what I use, and how I do things. The problem is they always want me to show them WHERE I do my calling; that is not going to happen. I will gladly go with them to their stomping grounds and try to help them be successful. If you want some one to show you how to be successful in your area, plan on taking them to your spots.

Yep got the Tshirt.

I took a friend out for ducks.Duck hunting spots were at a premium in that area. All private. Before we went I made sure he was not to hunt there unless it was with me. I always let the landowner know if a new guy was joining us.
We had a great day shooting.
He asked me to take a friend of his and his son out the next week. I was reluctant as I knew the guy, but not well.

He and his sone came out and shot lots of birds. Same deal....only with me.
Next time We went out he and his somn were already set up on the little pond. WTH??? He had told the landowner that I gave him permision and when he was done for the day he was going to talk to the landowner about getting a private club going there.

He and his son left in a hurry. I did damage control with the farmer. He said he would have liked to have seen our discussion in the morning.

With coyotes I do take newbies out, but like Obaro, it is on their ground.

It can take years to build a relationship with a landowner and one day to have it trashed.

Back