Magpul PRS buttstock - picatinny rail angled block for rear bag use?

esmith

Is there anyone making a simple block that would slide on the rail of the Magpul PRS instead of a Monopod as it's intended? This block would be angled, like a standard rifle stock is on the underside, so that when you use your "bunny ear" rear bag, you can slide the bag forward or backward on the stock and achieve a change in elevation.

The PRS as is, is straight on the bottom, so sliding your bag forward or backward under the stock does nothing to change the elevation of your rest.

Tempted to make a homemade job out of wood, but surely somebody uses a PRS with a rear bag and wants a little more elevation adjustment than squeezing the "ears" provides?

A great idea. I sold my PRS and went back to an A2 for just that reason. I liked the stock but needed quicker elevation adjustments for varmint shooting.

Sliding the rifle back and forth and squeezing the rear bag for elevation, is not the way to get the best out of your rifle. The flat bottom is made that way so that it will return to the same place, and run straight back upon firing. Look at true bench rest stocks, they are made that way, for the reason your trying to eliminate. The straight bottom keeps the stock from dropping under recoil. But to each his own.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesSliding the rifle back and forth and squeezing the rear bag for elevation, is not the way to get the best out of your rifle. The flat bottom is made that way so that it will return to the same place, and run straight back upon firing. Look at true bench rest stocks, they are made that way, for the reason your trying to eliminate. The straight bottom keeps the stock from dropping under recoil. But to each his own.

I understand the advantages of a straight bottom rifle stock, and I think many times this outweighs the advantage I want. But, for prairie dog hunting, you only get one shot anyway, and I have no problem maintaining a high hit % as well as watching impact in the scope with regular sloped bottom rifle stocks.

There is no best, as we all eventually realize when it comes to shooting and our equipment. Some things are better for different applications.

What we need is a machinist with a mill, and a block of Delrin plastic, who has the appropriate 90 degree double angle cutter, to mill a female picatinny groove into a block of plastic.

I think 4-6'' long, 1-2'' wide, and maybe 1'' tall at the short end of the slope, with about 1'' or less of slope for the rear shooting bag to support against.

If I was a machinist I'd bust these out all day long for $20 plus shipping.

I can't be the only guy (I see the other gentlemen who posted here with the same issue) who would at least like the option of using the Magpul PRS buttstock with a rear "bunny ear" bag in this fashion.

for clarification, this is the rear bag I am using. I also have some home made flat bags filled with poly beads I use for raising the ear bag up if needed. Generally shoot off a harris bipod, the 6-13'' swivel model.

Protektor ear bag

ninehorses: If we were shooting at a fixed backstop, the flat bottom of the butt stock would work perfectly but varmint hunting usually involves targets quickly appearing at varied ranges with a limited amount of time to adjust and make the shot. I dropped the toe of the PRS stock up and down on the tapered portion of the rear bag for quick adjustments but it was still somewhat slow and less than satisfactory for pd's and sagerats. Just a different game with different needs.

K V V: I've been using a similar bag from Flatline Ops. They call it the Dirt Bag. It has an additional height adjustment using an extra Velcro attached portion of the bag. Pretty versatile. http://www.flatlineops.com/products/bags/dirt-bag

esmith: Good luck with the idea. Hope you find something that works for you.

Thanks tt35. Given enough time it will get taken care of. Just wish I had this simple little thing before this pdog trip I've got in a week coming up.

If I had the time and ambition I could make one from wood in my shop but thats a project for another time for me anyway.

Back