it's official i hate my dillon 650xl

Redrock

after almost two months i have to work on this pos more than i reload. once i get somthing running right or get it set up somthing else screws up. what gives

Unless something has drastically changed, help is just a phone call away. Dillon has excellent customer service (based on my experience w/my first progressive, a 450). Realize the 650 has a lot more bells and whistles than the 450/550's but I'd sure give them a call and would expect them to be very helpful.

Hope you get it worked out.

Regards,
hm

I have a 650 XL its been fantastic. It's loaded several thousand rounds, the only problem I have had was a mis adjustment that was my fault. What problems have you had?

Originally Posted By: Redrockafter almost two months i have to work on this pos more than i reload. once i get somthing running right or get it set up somthing else screws up. what gives

And I suppose there's no chance of it being operator error is there?

Give Dillion a call and their no BS, we will fix it deal will take care of it.

You will be signing light blue prases in a week.

Hey there is no doubt been operator error. I dont pass the buck off. But ive tore this thing down multiple times read the manual multiple times watched the video multiple times. I called dillon. And the call lasted 45 seconds and they new parts were on the way today so kudos to them. Great great customer service.

But so far primers get turned side ways in the primer tray. the case feeder shuts off and i have to use a allen wrench a few times a day to click it over to reset it and it knocks the flow off. The feeder double feeds 5.56 all the freaking time and just when i thought i had it all rolling the [beeep] finished round dispenser gets bent how the [beeep] i dont even know. Im not new at this.

The guy whos helped me out has 2 650's and one 1050 and its blowing his mind. It did ok on .308's but since i switch conversion for 5.56 for my new high caliber mk12 upper its been [beeep]. I know dillon is a great company. But [beeep] this has been frustrating. Im not selling it. It will work its self out. Im used to a system thats pretty full proof. And im also gald ive kept it for my 243ai and 7mm mag. Gonna use the 650 for 5.56 and 40/10mm.

Again highest praise to dillon customer service second to none. No bs best of any company ive ever dealt with it was spooky. I didnt even give em my name. They had it on caller id. And i had tracking with in a hour.

I have a 550 that can be rather finicky. Problem is usually traced to being dirty. I usually get 1 or 2 per 100 that doesn't get primed. On mine the 2 screws tharbhold the primer feed system has to have little to no torque on them in order for it to work properly. Even with the qwerks.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI have a 550 that can be rather finicky. Problem is usually traced to being dirty. I usually get 1 or 2 per 100 that doesn't get primed. On mine the 2 screws tharbhold the primer feed system has to have little to no torque on them in order for it to work properly. Even with the qwerks.

Lance,
Sounds like there's a problem with the primer feed body itself. Is it older and worn out? Have you tried a new primer bar?

Redrock,
Is there any other issues besides the primer feed and case feed?
I don't know anything about the case feeders as I don't have those on my 550's and honestly.. I don't want one. I do know that there's a learning curve to these things and it can be rather steep but once the two of you get in step with each other these days will be long forgotten.

One thought. If you have to adjust the case feeder every time you change to a different cartridge, you may want to load larger batches of ammo.

I've had my 650 for about 15yrs now loaded thousands of rds on it only problem I've ever had was it shot spent primers on to the floor, called dillon they said send it I said send it back for a primer cup problem they said some changes had been made to the unit sense I bought mine and they would do a free upgrade for me it's ran great ever sense.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZGive Dillion a call and their no BS, we will fix it deal will take care of it.

You will be signing light blue prases in a week.

Is it just me, or does this answer not make much sense.??
JD

The biggest problem I found with mine is adjusting the spring that holds the case in alignment. Problem is I don't use the presses enough to be proficient with them anymore.

More time you spend with the press the better you'll get with it.

Search brianenos.com and you'll find a ton of info there. Those guys have helped me on a RL1050. I was about ready to throw the thing out, but now, I couldn't be happier. I also have to RL550's. Most trouble is dirt and/or mis-adjustment somewhere.

Back