RPG Range Time

Thought I'd add in my RPG 6X45. This one is a 24" Black Hole fluted. Bull under the FF tube and 0.750 from the gas block forward. I've shot this one extensively in 500 yard F-Class matches learning the tricks of the trade. The upper is a railed LH from BHW that they made several years ago.

DSC04594.jpg

Some of my load work ups.

scan0019.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

Greg

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorThats some fine shooting! What kind of float tube is on that 6x45?

I'm thinking it is a Young.

Greg

This is a target I shot with a 243 LBC on a Savage action. As you can see all the data is there.
The more I shoot this rifle, the more I like it.

This target was shot with a 22X6.8 It was actually the first group ever shot with a Black Hole barrel in this chambering. The bullet was a 50 grain Nosler BT. It was running at 3750 FPS. What a way to start with a new cartridge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: venaticI need the data on that load.

Load was H4895 30.0 grains, Nolser 50 BT and CCI 450 primer in FC 6.8 cases.

Greg

Sight verification before my June PD shoot. 30.5 was running 3716. I estimated this one so real numbers would have been right on 3750.

Greg

Ritch has great customer service and fast delivery time. I contacted him on delivery time of his RPG 5.56 upper and he quoted me two weeks. The next day I sent him half the cost and two weeks later my upper was ready, but I had to send him the remaining cost of the upper. Basically I had a custom upper in three weeks with no bullcrap whatsoever. Took the upper out for a short range session with a make shift rest (fire house sleeping bag), less than an inch probably 3/4 with factory ammo. I'm sure this will get better in time!

Got to shoot my new 6.8 SPC built by Ritch with a 18 inch standard profile BHW barrel. Didn't have any groups worth taking pictures of but it was shooting factory ammo good enough for some Iowa coyote this winter

So many guys geting smaller and smaler as we get older ..Joke???.. I'm not sure what that means but I thought I'd share the first RPG built rifle done for me on my very first Black Hole barrel. This is a 20 LBC. It is a 6.5 Grendel necked down to twenty. It is a turn neck but when you are getting that much brass squeezed in there for real accuracy turning is the only way to get consistent performance.

Here are a few of the little guys loaded up with some Sierras.

DSC03932.jpg

I shot some Berger 50's for a fellow as he wanted to do a custom reamer in 20 caliber and did these as a proof of concept. Looks like plenty of proof there.

scan0023.jpg

Since I shot those I have obtained a nice pair of 24" Savage barrels I will be wringing out that Ritch helped me get. One is the 20 LBC and the other 20 wildcat, 20X6.8, that I mentioned. Ritch has been shooting it with uber results. My brain has been burning up herein Phoenix all summer and now I am ighting monsoon rains and I am anxiuos to get out amonst them

Just a quick shot of my load work up area when I feel like going to prison again. I've put a metric ton of lead in that backstop teaching.

DSC03933.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterSo many guys geting smaller and smaler as we get older ..Joke???.. I'm not sure what that means but I thought I'd share the first RPG built rifle done for me on my very first Black Hole barrel. This is a 20 LBC. It is a 6.5 Grendel necked down to twenty. It is a turn neck but when you are getting that much brass squeezed in there for real accuracy turning is the only way to get consistent performance.

Here are a few of the little guys loaded up with some Sierras.

DSC03932.jpg

I shot some Berger 50's for a fellow as he wanted to do a custom reamer in 20 caliber and did these as a proof of concept. Looks like plenty of proof there.

scan0023.jpg

Since I shot those I have obtained a nice pair of 24" Savage barrels I will be wringing out that Ritch helped me get. One is the 20 LBC and the other 20 wildcat, 20X6.8, that I mentioned. Ritch has been shooting it with uber results. My brain has been burning up herein Phoenix all summer and now I am ighting monsoon rains and I am anxiuos to get out amonst them

Just a quick shot of my load work up area when I feel like going to prison again. I've put a metric ton of lead in that backstop teaching.

DSC03933.jpg

Greg

20x6.8? That aught to be a screemer! So is a national match profile a bull diameter under the hand guard, and then at .750 gas block going forward? I'm ordering in the next day or two now. Looks like its about 6 weeks to deliver, so that'll give me time to get my dies and bullets in order for coyotes

This one isn't an AR but it does have an RPG linage. It's all Ritch's fault that I bought this one since he felt a man didn't have a compelete armory until you had a Savage in the safe. What say you?

I've had this barrel on a Savage action for quite some time but life kept me from the desert. It finally dropped below 110 and the monsoons had stopped so I headed to the desert. These were the first rounds put through the rifle. BLack Hole 260 Remington 24" 1:8 3P standard weight. Range was 100 yards.

I had a batch of 123 Nosler CC's and Hornady 123 AMAX bullets and decided to limit my self to two powders and two seating depths on each bullet. I also had some 140's that I wanted to try for a quick look.

Here are some results of my time in the dust. The barrel certainly performs well. I hadn't sat down at a bench for several months so this was enlightening. I also had forgotten what a 308 sized case feels like shooting from a bench. It makes my LBC's and 6.8's pale in compoarison. The good news is exactly zero bruising or soreness. I guess I haven't forgot how to handle a bit of push back yet.

First up was some of the AMAX. They did OK for not tuning much. Two different charge weights and seating depths. It likes running hot.

Moving on to the Nolsers with two differnt powders and two seating depths was intersting. They are frequently available cheap and have the same BC as the AMAX. They are also shaped a bit differently. I picked up 750 of them and I do like how they shoot in this one and the 264 LBC.

I shot two groups of the 140 Hornady BTHP's and had an average group size of right on 0.946. They were both vertical so the speed dragon wil ge tthe call on them next time. They loafed along at 2733 for the day.

I know this one will shoot now. If I take this one to a 1000 F-Class the Noslers will get some refinements. For a quick six hours in the heat I did learn a great deal. I now have fire formed 110 Lapua cases so now I can trun the necks for nice consistent release. I found that every charge fired showed nice round primers. Bolt lift was nice and easy and the chronorgaph numbers were nice and predictable. I still have room to work. I checked my velocites against the current Hodgdon data and found my 123's, compared to the 125 Nolsers, were considerably faster across the board with less powder and my 140's were loaded a bit over their recomendations but were once again faster.

I found that of all the loads that I shot with both 123's the rifle would consistently keep them in sub-MOA with most of them grouped in the 0.6 to 0.7 area. None too shabby. Certinaly adequate for a hunting load and almost good enough for way way out yonder. The 123's have a BC of 0.510 and the 140's run 0.580. The extra speed of the 123's cuts down on drop at 1000 by about 10" inches but looses the windage battle to the 140's by right on 6". I think I can add 1/4 on windage to handle that little problem for less recoil.

Just a quick peek at what I finally got to do. The next up will be my secret weapon for long range if all the nuumber crunching plays out. Stay tuned...

Greg

PS: I almost forgot. I want to thank my Range Master, Range Safety Officer and my spotter for their invaluable assitance. My experince was greatly enhanced thanks to their attention to detail and proper safety procedures.

Back