Forearm opinion time

ELJ

I'm looking for a lightweight FF rifle length forearm. Need to be able to attach a sling and maybe, just maybe one small picatinny rail. Who's running what that you like?

Steve

Odinworks - I have the sport forend, but they make the kmod type also.

Seekins MCSR V2 - this has the keymod system and is a little fatter than the Odinworks, but that allows my suppressor to fit inside.

I really like both, modular rails allow addition of bipods, mall ninja stuff just about wherever you want to put it.

I don't like the Midwest Industries type locking system, sometimes the part where the two screws tighten the rail to the barrel nut gets in the way of where I want to grab it and it can get irritating.

Troy Alpha Rail, I run the 13" model on my blackout and it is awesome. Weighs only .6lbs, and is probably one of the slimmest I have seen. Plus it only has the rail on the top but comes with others so you only have it where you want it instead of a quad rail. Another benefit is that it attaches to a standard barrel nut that most people already have on their rifle for an easy 10 minute install. Just slip it on and tighten 3 screws. Mine has been on for over a year and it is ROCK SOLID!

Last edited:
I just put a Bravo Company 13" KMR on my newest build. Its an awesome rail. It's narrow,extremely light weight and comes with 2 rail section. I will definitely be using them again on future builds.

Thanks for all the great info. I've noticed that there aren't any recommendations for any carbon-fiber forearms. Are there any durability issues with carbon?

Steve

Originally Posted By: ELJThanks for all the great info. I've noticed that there aren't any recommendations for any carbon-fiber forearms. Are there any durability issues with carbon?

Steve

Aluminum is better than Carbon Fiber if you're referring to being able to take on major abrasions, IMO. If you're using the handguard for normal use then you won't notice a different. However, once carbon fiber starts to splinter then it should be trashed. It would take a lot of abuse to get it to that point though. Carbon fiber isn't as cold feeling either on the hands in the winter.

I built a rifle recently with an AP Cutoms Carbon Fiber Handguard and its been great for a lightweight build. They're strong and will hold up to 99% of abuse. This rifle is used for 3gun so its thrown against barriers, tossed in dump barrels, etc and its as good as new.

The carbon-fiber handguards with the top rail are heavier than some of the aluminum handguards, FYI. The Midwest gen2 SS/SSK/SSM are the same weight or lighter than comparable carbon-fiber. They even have a Lightweight version with less top rails and are even lighter.

Geissele makes a nice "3-gun" rail which I'm really keen to try out, but have yet found a reason to replace my Midwest gen2 SS or SSK rails.

Back