.308 vs 6.8 ??

+1 for the 6.8 unless you really really need that 350+ range.

Here is my RRA upper on a fraken lower

6-8.jpg

Lowest speed with proper opening velocity threshold on the 120 SST and 95 TTSX put the max effective range at about 438 Yards give or take depending on your load.

I own a 6,8mm Bushmaster and it is a great rifle. When, you go the AR-10, it is a good move. I have a DPMS 243 with a 308 upper. Do not worry about a few extra pounds. As my Drill Instructor told us that are M14's would get lighter each week. Don't over look the 243. If you reload you may need small base dies. I needed them for my rifle. Have fun.

I have a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical in 6.8mm SPC.
The Wilson was a serious chunk of change to pay for a gun for a regular working guy like me, but it's what I wanted and I saved up and got it. And I LOVE it!

A Springfield M1A .308 used to be near the top of my wish list. I have shot one but never owned. (Not an AR, but that's my point of reference.)

Having the 6.8 has helped me get over my .308 lust. If I need to hit harder, further out, I have bolt guns for that. At more realistic hunting distances, for just about any size game I could find around here (except maybe aoudad, which can be found without traveling too terribly far, and are very tough critters) the the 6.8 will do the job in a light-weight, handy rifle that gives me quick follow up shots if needed. I'd still like a .308, some day, but it's moved from the "GOT TO HAVE IT" list to the "yeah, that would be nice" list.

Ammo seems to be much more available than it was just a few months or a year ago. I'm finding it in most stores. Maybe not much selection in local shops, but I can find a box or two just about anywhere. Bigger places generally have higher quantities and more selection, of course. I found a pile of it a Cabela's last weekend.

I know you said you're not getting into reloading, but if you ever do, the brass will be the only hard thing to come by. I'm saving mine from factory ammo and recently bought some new brass from Silver State Armory.
Same diameter bullet as a .270 Win. (.277") so anything toward the lighter end of .270 bullets will work for 6.8. I like the 95 gr Barnes TTSX for just about everything. I shot a 9/16" group with factory ammo loaded with that bullet, shooting under less than ideal circumstances (cross wind, not real comfortable on the bench that day for some reason, etc). That almost duplicated the 1/2" group on the test target that came with the gun. So it's more accurate than I'm going to be able to shoot in the field off hand or off sticks.

Not known as a long range round. My 6.8 is more accurate than my bolt guns at 100 yds, but I have not yet tried it out past 180 or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Buy a 6.8 for the yotes
and
Buy a .308 S&W M&P10 for the Deer.
Both weigh about the same unloaded.

Okay, I'm going to put a little different spin on this. I have a 6.8 in a rifle that was put together using a Bison upper, and have used it for both coyotes and whitetails. I don't have an AR in 308, but have used the 308 in a bolt gun for deer hunting. Though I have killed deer with the 6.8, the 308 is in my opinion a far better choice for deer hunting. It's really not even close. Now, for coyotes, I use the 6.8 and have no desire to coyote hunt with a 308. I know my post is not exactly what you're looking for, as I'm not commenting on a 308 in an AR, but caliber wise, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Buy a 6.8 for the yotes
and
Buy a .308 S&W M&P10 for the Deer.
Both weigh about the same unloaded.

Okay, I'm going to put a little different spin on this. I have a 6.8 in a rifle that was put together using a Bison upper, and have used it for both coyotes and whitetails. I don't have an AR in 308, but have used the 308 in a bolt gun for deer hunting. Though I have killed deer with the 6.8, the 308 is in my opinion a far better choice for deer hunting. It's really not even close. Now, for coyotes, I use the 6.8 and have no desire to coyote hunt with a 308. I know my post is not exactly what you're looking for, as I'm not commenting on a 308 in an AR, but caliber wise, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

I would like to hear why the 6.8 is not a good choice for deer? I've taken many deer and many pigs with the 6.8. The deer always collapse right where they stood stiff legged and dead. I've been using the 95TTSX and 120SST bullets each time. What has your experience been?

I've taken over a dozen Texas whitetail this year (depredation permit) with my 6.8, though my rifle has taken close to 50. All inside 175yds with 110 TSX, 110 Fusion, and 110 Sierra Pro Hunter. Most were DRT and the furthest trailed only 50yds. Maybe if one was only taking 300yd+ shots, then I would suggest something with a little more punch, but otherwise the 6.8 has more than enough power.

Back