22-250 bullet selection...assistance needed.

johnb231

First time post! Hey fellas I have a delima. I've been shooting 55gr Federal sp's (cheap blue box) and about the last 5 or 6 song dogs I've shot have spun pretty bad and one of which,today, bolted after being drilled right behind the shoulder in the sweet spot and it took an act of congress to find. The 50 dollar question is, does anyone have a two bullet combo that works well, ie same POA POI for a 55gr soft point (well constructed for penetration) and a 55gr rapid expansion load? Trouble is I'm an avid yote chaser but have habit of changing hats upon the often sighted pig encounter here in east Texas and was hoping for some guidance for a two ammo battery for said instance.

PS: Either factory ammo or a good shooting handload. EITHER OR.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
JB

I wouldn't use the Vmax or other frangibles if you are going to eat that meat from the pigs..
You may want to check into the Amax ammo or some of the HP bullets.

I would imagine that the pelts are not worth selling and so if you are just looking for an anchor load for the coyotes and Pigs, you may want to try and step up the load weight to deliver the energy and impact.

If you are eating the pigs, then i would get a metal detector to wave over the meat, you never know if your hog was previously shot or stuck by a bow.

I have been shooting the Sierra GameKing 55gr. Spitzer Boat Tail (1365) out of my 250. I'm getting real good accuracy with it. I learned from a friend of mine that this is a great coyote bullet. Accuracy is good and penetration is real good. The only other bullet I can think of is the Nosler Partition 60gr. I shot these a handful of times. The accuracy was good and I'm sure the penetration would be second to none. Both bullets performed under an inch at 100 yards. My friend claimed that either one of these bullets placed on the shoulder of the coyote would anchor them nicely. I don't know what it would do to the hide. Both bullets shot equally well with H4350 and H335.

Thanks for the help. Im going to shoot a fire groups with some factory federal 55gr sierra hollow ors vs some of their 55grdemise sp's and check the poi shift if any.

Originally Posted By: GerbsI have been shooting the Sierra GameKing 55gr. Spitzer Boat Tail (1365) out of my 250. I'm getting real good accuracy with it. I learned from a friend of mine that this is a great coyote bullet. Accuracy is good and penetration is real good. The only other bullet I can think of is the Nosler Partition 60gr. I shot these a handful of times. The accuracy was good and I'm sure the penetration would be second to none. Both bullets performed under an inch at 100 yards. My friend claimed that either one of these bullets placed on the shoulder of the coyote would anchor them nicely. I don't know what it would do to the hide. Both bullets shot equally well with H4350 and H335.

I concur with the 1365. It is extremely accurate and smacks coyotes. I load it over IMR4064 to 3500 fps in a 22-250. This is not a hot load and is the most accurate load that I have ever shot in any rifle.

55gr VMax. Dead on varmint killers. Used them in my 22-250 when I was shooting it (hence my screen name). Loved them and wouldn't shoot any other bullets besides it.

Favorite bullets in my 22-250's are Berger 52 gr and Sierra 55 gr BTHP GameKing. Both drop coyotes like a cheap lawn chair.

All you need to do is change your shot placement to high shoulder. Bullets placed in that area have a devastating effect not only on the shoulder but they also get into the spine. They drop like they've been hit by a bolt of lightning. I have a good friend that averages about 100 coyotes a year and swears by this shot. I've seen it, used it and it works.

I got a new 22 250 I am trying to work up a load . I have sierra 55 gr BT HP and 55 gr gameking 2nds 52 gr a max nosler 55 gr BT 50 gr v max. 52 and 53 gr HP match bullets. I have worked up a load with varget. And 50 gr v Max and 53 gr match. I am going to use it on hogs deer coyotes . I am going with 52 gr A Max . I tried varget didn't group good. I have RL15 imr4350 h332 tac and others . What do u think the best powder to try with that bullet. The barrel is 1@12.

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterI got a new 22 250 I am trying to work up a load . I have sierra 55 gr BT HP and 55 gr gameking 2nds 52 gr a max nosler 55 gr BT 50 gr v max. 52 and 53 gr HP match bullets. I have worked up a load with varget. And 50 gr v Max and 53 gr match. I am going to use it on hogs deer coyotes . I am going with 52 gr A Max . I tried varget didn't group good. I have RL15 imr4350 h332 tac and others . What do u think the best powder to try with that bullet. The barrel is 1@12.

Keep in mind that the 52 A-Max has the same thin jacket as the 50 V-Max. They will be poor on large game.

I shoot H380 under a 52 grain berger. Groups good at 100, haven't been able to put it to work on anything besides paper so far.

Last edited:
You should look at the Sierra #1365 or #1390.

Both of these are well constructed and will serve double duty for your situation. They are 55gr.

The Sierra #1370 is another good option. It is 63gr smp.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrHardwick I shoot the 53 grain barnes tsx and flattens coyotes. Small hole in and small hole out!

thats what I figured I use them on deer out of my 243 and it strait devistation. he will get the penitration hes's looking for on pigs and dont ever have to worry about splashing.

Back