6x6.8 OR 6.5x6.8 for new ar15

Mo Lassis

I'm trying to decide on a 6x6.8 or a 6.5 x6.8 barrel for a new ar15 build. I've got extra parts laying here, except for barrel. Gonna use it for coyote and 300 yard plus target shooting. I'm thinking an 18" standard profile barrel from BHW, but I'm hung up on the caliber. I have a 6.8 spcII already. I'm looking for another upper. And am going to get a redding type S fl bushing die to use for both. I think I just need the 6mm stem is all to work for the 6 or 6.5 from what I can tell from reading. I have a hornady 6.8 fl die set now I can use for seating I guess still. I'm trying not to fall into the trap of doing both calibers. It seems like the 6x6.8 was hot but now the 6.5x6.8 is catching fire quickly. They both have a good choice of bullets, so is there really a superior choice for the ar15? Hèll maybe the 6.8 with a 20" barrel will get me most of what the 2 choices can offer ballistically. I don't know, any thoughts, or any of you going through the choice?

I'm sure Greg and/or Ritch will be along to give you some better advice than I can, but here's my first thought. Since you already have a 6.8, wouldn't a 6mm give you a little more diversity? You're probably shooting 120ish bullets in your 6.8, and that's about what I shoot in my 6.5. With a 6mm you can lighter bullets at higher velocities I would think.

I built the 6x6.8 since Im a fan of 6mm's as it is.
My bbl is 22", rifle length gas, adjustable GB, soft shooting like the .223.
I have no issues to 700 yards at the range and 400 yards on coyote in the field with any bullet I use.
Speed is 3400+ w/the 55g bullets for coyote and 3000 fps w/a 80g bullet for antelope.
Accurate as heck.
Im looking to built it on a bolt action as well.
The 6.8 fails to tickle my toes, but the 6mm does.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhI'm sure Greg and/or Ritch will be along to give you some better advice than I can, but here's my first thought. Since you already have a 6.8, wouldn't a 6mm give you a little more diversity? You're probably shooting 120ish bullets in your 6.8, and that's about what I shoot in my 6.5. With a 6mm you can lighter bullets at higher velocities I would think.

Yeah the higher speeds and better ballistics is what I'm looking for really. To reach out a bit. My 6.8 has been set up for deer mainly with the 120 sst. Like 5spd said below, he can reach out 700 yards, so I like the sounds of that a lot. I'm leaning 6 but started reading more 6.5 stuff so wanted to make sure. I see BHW has a 20% off until the end of the month so I'll probably go that route. And the 6x6.8 might make a good night vision base for my scope. Thanks for the direction guys.

Originally Posted By: 5spdI built the 6x6.8 since Im a fan of 6mm's as it is.
I have no issues to 700 yards at the range and 400 yards on coyote in the field with any bullet I use.
Speed is 3400+ w/the 55g bullets for coyote and 3000 fps w/a 80g bullet for antelope.
Accurate as heck.

Any issues with the 22" barrel? I was thinking 18 maybe 20, but 22 might get a bit long for mobile calling gun. Sounds like you cover some ground though from reading other posts. So it can't be to bad. I could go 22 and cut it if need be. Although 2" or so really can't be that much of a difference can it? As far as weight for a calling rifle

Given you have a 6.8 for deer and are after those sammer furry guys I would go 6X6.8. The 6.5 has some good bulets for way out ther but has a trunctaed choice in the varmint light weight area. Ther are at least twice as many 6MM's out there for the chore at hand. Also the 6 MM makes a good deer/antelpe round without question so you aren't giving up anything in flexibility.

Accuracy wise my gut tells me the 6 has a TINY edge over the 6.5. Possibly because I have shot a ton more of it but that is my feeling. Nothing objective just pure subjective. The 58 grain load we worked up is deadly on anything you would shoot. Plus you can buy it from TA in a pinch.

Reloading would require one extra bushing for your die over the 6.5. The 6.8 seater will not work in a 6MM as the bullet disparity is too great. A Hornady stand alone seater in 6 MM is only about $20.00. With the 6.5 you might manage but it will be iffy. If you choose to deprime separtely, as in prior to cleaning, you could avoid buying the extra stem. You won't normally run a button any way. If you decap in the die you will need the 6MM stem. If you do it with the 6.5 you can get by with the original stem using the decapper holder that is samller than the button.

Standard weight would be ideal. I personally l would go 22" but really a 20" will get it done nicely for you. I have a proclivity for the longer and heavier barrels but I am not calling. That is not to say their aren't some fly weght rifles in the safe that would work..LOL I'll be testing one of those this week.

Ask away and someone here will help out. The 6X6.8 is the biggest seller of all the variants BTW. As a group the 6.8 Redding Type S dies were sold out nationally for quite a while and I know where a couple hundred went. Also they have become so popular the CH4D is stocking the 6X6.8 dies on the shelf.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Mo LassisOriginally Posted By: 5spdI built the 6x6.8 since Im a fan of 6mm's as it is.
Accurate as heck.

Any issues with the 22" barrel? I was thinking 18 maybe 20, but 22 might get a bit long for mobile calling gun. Sounds like you cover some ground though from reading other posts. So it can't be to bad. I could go 22 and cut it if need be. Although 2" or so really can't be that much of a difference can it? As far as weight for a calling rifle

Not one single issue with the 22" bbl & yes I have packed it 4-5 miles walking a calling loop.
Its as nimble as a shorter bbl., it swings as quickly to my point of aim. I am not in thick woods or tight spots, all open spaces. It does not add any more weight that I would worry about.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: Mo LassisOriginally Posted By: 5spdI built the 6x6.8 since Im a fan of 6mm's as it is.
Accurate as heck.

Not one single issue with the 22" bbl & yes I have packed it 4-5 miles walking a calling loop.
Its as nimble as a shorter bbl., it swings as quickly to my point of aim. I am not in thick woods or tight spots, all open spaces. It does not add any more weight that I would worry about.

Yeah I think the 6x6.8 in a 22" barrel sounds perfect for me now. The difference in speed from an 18" is the reason I'm going from a 6.8spc anyway. The standard profile should work out real nice then too. Looks like I better get my BHW order in since they have the special this month.

Back