How do YOU do it?

For more years than I count I have always loaded 12 rounds at first. Three at 1 gr. below max, three .05 below max, three right at max. and three .05 over max. Normally, this will tell me how hot a particular rifle wants to run. Then I will drop down 2 grs. from where pressure signs appeared and start looking for accuracy in .05 grs. increments. At this point I could care less where the bullets hit. My focus at first is bolt lift and other pressure signs.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Chupathingy
I've never used BLC-2, how do ya'll like it?

Chupa

BL-C2 is OK... flows like water through a measure, but don't work up max loads in the winter, and shoot them in August.

I used to load tons of it when Moses came down the mountain with those rocks - but I haven't shot it since it was $2.35 a pound.

Nope, these will be Uber-light loads, probably no more than a grain above minimum load.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickI found this to be a pretty interesting post. A friend taught me years ago to go in 1/10's . We did five shot groups which I now do 3 rounds with each load. I was really surprised how the groups would vary from fliers , really spread out to at some point finally the group would tighten up and you produce that sweet load you want. Can't really say I will change my method even after reading this. I think it's surprising to see how each load can vary by adding 1/10 grain .

Thanks for the post Chupa.

No sweat. I've only been loading seriously for about 4 years (seriously means having my own equipment) and I have tons to still learn. You don't see me ask many questions on here, but I send a lot of PM's asking questions and I use the search function A LOT!

Chupa

I load 10 rounds each in .5 grain increments starting 2.5 grains below max and work up to max or just below, what ever the .5 works out to. The reason for 10 rounds each, I will shoot 5 shot groups and let the barrel cool between each group, than later in the day or the next day I will shoot the last 5 in each group to see if they shoot the same and than fine tune if needed.
I use a big sheet of white poster board and use 3" shootNsee targets. I put 5 targets along the top of the poster board, and 5 targets along the bottom. I than write the charge under each target that I shoot and I keep the poster boards for reference down the line when working on new loads. I have poster boards from the last 5+ years of loading for reference that I keep next to my loading room. I buy 10 packs of poster board from wally world for a few bucks and this has worked great for my son and I.
I am lucky enough that my son has a 400 yard rifle range setup at his farm for all of our testing and practice, we have the range setup in 100 yard increments, and can add portable target holders any where in between. We also have a separate pistol range setup into the side of a nice hill for short range work. This works for us so maybe you can fine tune something to help you out. Good Luck----Riflemann

I guess I'm the "odd ball" in the crowd again....I work with .1gr increments for small cases and .3-.5gr for .308s and above...

I'd rather catch the better groups on the first go around than back up from other methods...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI guess I'm the "odd ball" in the crowd again....I work with .1gr increments for small cases and .3-.5gr for .308s and above...

I'd rather catch the better groups on the first go around than back up from other methods...

Same here. I have seen .1 grains make a difference in a load several times. Some were quite a difference.

I used to just go in .5 grain increments and work up, but have changed my method.

Nowdays, the first thing I do is start with a ladder test. I will poll 3-5 different loading manuals and average to get a max load. From there I will go in .3 grain increments for the smaller cases (.4 increments on larger cases), and work my way down to a starting load, usually loading about 8-10 rounds. Once at the range I will start at the bottom, working my way up, shooting across the chronograph. I will watch for pressure signs on the cases, and watch velocities to see how they are tracking with what is expected. I will also watch the target to see where shots are wanting to cluster around nodes. These first 8-10 shots will tell me a lot about where I want to start looking for sweet spots in my load, and how the rifle is going to handle pressure in regards to a max load.

From there I will start loading groups to test around suspected accuracy nodes, normally staying with the .3 grain increments. Once I have my powder charge, then I will start playing with seating depth. This method just seems to be more efficient for me. Most of my shooting is done in short sessions at work, so that influences my method too. I never do extended sessions at public ranges. Or public ranges, period.

Back