20 Tactical reloading?

blopez50

I've been reading about some small 20s and am torn between a Prac and a Tac.

I don't care about fire forming the brass as I know I can just shoot "regular loads" for this. What I want is: 1) easy brass forming from 223. 2) as little trimming/brass upkeep as possible.

My question is this: If I go 20 tactical, can I just grab piece of WIN 223 brass, run it through a hornady FL die, load and shoot?

I've seen stuff about form dies, case wrinkles, neck doughnuts, I want no part of that stuff. I want 1 pass through a die, load, and shoot.

Originally Posted By: blopez50I've been reading about some small 20s and am torn between a Prac and a Tac.

I don't care about fire forming the brass as I know I can just shoot "regular loads" for this. What I want is: 1) easy brass forming from 223. 2) as little trimming/brass upkeep as possible.

My question is this: If I go 20 tactical, can I just grab piece of WIN 223 brass, run it through a hornady FL die, load and shoot?

I've seen stuff about form dies, case wrinkles, neck doughnuts, I want no part of that stuff. I want 1 pass through a die, load, and shoot.

It will work. My method it is to run them through a gutted 223 die so I can start the sizing process. A better option in my experience is the 20 Practical. No adjusting shoulder height during case forming and the velocites are maybve a tad better. Down range the 20 Pract, 20 Tac and 204 are pretty much even. I shoot all three.

Accurate has data on teh 20 Tactical. I have data on around 100 various loadings on it but I have pretty much gone to the Practical.

Greg

Shoulda known you'd be the guy to ask!
wink.gif

I was just checkin out all the choices but if that's the case, I'll go practical!

Originally Posted By: blopez50Shoulda known you'd be the guy to ask!
wink.gif

I was just checkin out all the choices but if that's the case, I'll go practical!

Ritch has built well over a half dozen of them. They are screamers. If you need any data I'll be glad to share in PM's.

The Practical can be loaded with a Redding Type S F/L bushing die and then you can laod 20 Parctical, 223 and 6X45 with just a bushing change. It doesn't get any better than that. You can use a 20 Hornady seater die for the chore. (You can also go CRAZY and do the 17/223 but that is a challenge!! LOL)

Greg

Last edited:
I just so happen to have a couple extra micrometer tops layin around! It's awesome to be able to experiment with different bullets without having to lose adjustments on the favorite loads.

Back