Bullet selection for "close" range coyote ?

Not sure on the Speers, I didn't start using the until the mid 90's. I know it is a little off, but it's close is the factory Remington 50gr SP in .222.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: kyron4Has anyone tried the 223 loads meant for deer like the Fed. 60 gr Nosler partition or Fusion 62 gr soft point ? Do they punch cleaner holes than fragmenting types ?

Yes. We shot 2 coyotes with Nosler Partitions while hog hunting. NOT GOOD. They passed right through and both animals ran 20-30 yards before tumbling. The 60gr VMax is a FAR better choice. The Partitions will definitely kill them dead, but I want them to drop. But if you're looking for minimal pelt damage the Partitions might fit the bill.

As was said above several times, I'd look into 40gr VMax bullets "IF" your rifle will shoot them accurately. Both of our hunting rifles are 1/8 twists and for some reason they just don't like the 40s. They shoot the 60s very accurately.

I can deal with a 20-30yds run if it means pelt damage would be minimal. Most shots will be 50-75 yds. but up to 150 is possible.

Kyron4 I have shot a pile of coyote with my ar at your ranges. The 50gr sx works great no exit usually drt. Load between 3200-3300. The 52 speer hp is good but better at 3500-3600 more of a 22-250 bullet. I think Blackhills still makes a 223 load with the 52 speer hp. 50 rounds should be enough for sighting a fur trial.

I use a Hornady 52 gr BTHP for coyotes. The pelt damage is none to minimal as long as you dont hit a bone like the shoulder. I hunt them for the fur also.

Back