Super Vel 110 grain .38spc?

steve154

I was going through some stuff and cam across a partial box of this stuff that someone gave me at some point in the last 20 years. I have done a little looking and it seems that it was loaded a little hot. Anyone have any experience with it? I want to shoot some in my Ruger LCR but don't want to take the little thing apart at the seams.

Originally Posted By: steve154I was going through some stuff and cam across a partial box of this stuff that someone gave me at some point in the last 20 years. I have done a little looking and it seems that it was loaded a little hot. Anyone have any experience with it? I want to shoot some in my Ruger LCR but don't want to take the little thing apart at the seams.

Super Vel is hotter than the hubs of Hades. DO NOT shoot it in your little gun. Lee Jurras was a small guy and he darn sure compensated for it in his Auto Mag and his ammunition. A fine gentleman he was and the man that the rest of the world followed for SD loadings.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGthere were various vintages . some were said to be hotter than others.

A chronograph would be educational on this one. Fired in a heavier frame that is.

If it is a standard 38 Special LCR it is not +P rated. The LCRx is a +P 38 Special rated set up.

Greg

I have two boxes of that very ammo that I got at a gun show some years ago. One box has 6 rounds missing out of it so I think that one day soon I am going to take my Model 27 to the range with my chronograph and see what it clocks with the stuff. The original claim was 1500 FPS with the 110 grain bullet in the .38 Special but I am extremely dubious of this. The ammo makers 40 years ago would often exaggerate wildly regarding their speeds. Nowadays with chronographs being so affordable that everyone can afford one the ammo makers are a whole lot more honest.

And back in those days there was no SAAMI standards for +P or +P+ ammo. Some was indeed hotter than others were but for the most part it was pretty much all the same. Not quite like it is today that's for sure.

Thanks for the info. My gun is the +P LCR but i am still not going to shoot them out of it. I would like to see chrono results.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust
And back in those days there was no SAAMI and no +P or +P+ ammo. Some was indeed hotter than others were but for the most part it was pretty much all the same. Not quite like it is today that's for sure.

"Lee E. Jurras (born July 27, 1934 in Plant City, Florida) was an American firearm cartridge designer, known for creation of the Super Vel line of cartridges, and groundbreaking developments in hollow-point ammunition.

Jurras began handloading cartridges for profit at age 12. In the 1950s, he experimented with lathing rifle bullets to create jacketed handgun ammunition, inspired by Jim Harvey. In 1963, Jurras founded Super Vel ammunition company in Shelbyville, Indiana. Jurras' ammo utilized lightweight bullets pushed at high velocities to cause bullet expansion, but at low enough pressure for typical firearms. The Super Vel line was an outstanding success, selling massive amounts of hollow-point ammunition to law enforcement and civilian buyers. However, the rapid growth of the company and its reliance on outsourcing of cartridge cases left it vulnerable, and it was overtaken by competitors and closed its doors in 1974.

Jurras continued his efforts in cartridge development, using as his base the powerful AutoMag pistol, and later the Thompson Center Arms single-shot rifle-calibre pistol.

Jurras co-authored several books on firearms with George C. Nonte."

---

MAP for 38 Special is 17,500. MAP for 38 Special +P is 20,000 - there is no MAP standard for +P+.

Lee Jurras ammunition fell into the standard MAP of 17,500

At the time when the standard 38 Special load was a 158gr lead round nose @ 800 fps, Lee's loads were 110gr at 1.150 fps. They were NOT hot - they were light and fast.

---

"SAAMI was founded in 1926 at the request of the federal government and tasked with:

Creating and publishing industry standards for safety, interchangeability, reliability and quality
Coordinating technical data
Promoting safe and responsible firearms use"

Originally Posted By: steve154Thanks for the info. My gun is the +P LCR but i am still not going to shoot them out of it. I would like to see chrono results.

It is safe in standard revolvers.

Back