Any San Diego County Varmint Callers here?

Dust

I was reading in the newest PX that there was going to be a hearing next month on predator hunting. I was hoping to hear from a member about what is going on.

There is currently an all out assault on predator hunting in the state of California that is being spearheaded by Project Coyote. They want to eliminate bobcat hunting, eliminate coyote calling contests, big buck contests etc... and impose seasons and limits for coyote hunting. I'm not a member of the San Diego County Varmint Callers but I am a concerned predator hunter here in San Diego and I will be attending the fish and game meeting regarding predator hunting in California on August 6. I don't remember his name but the president of the San Diego County Varmint Callers will be attending the meeting as well.

let us know how the meeting goes. im up in northern CA and havent heard of anything like this happening up here yet, but of course, all CA needs is one county to start something and the rest follow suit.

gotcha. hopefully the meeting goes well tonight. I for one will NEVER buy a yote tag nor put a limit on them. its bad enough here with lions.

The meeting did not go very well in my opinion. Members of Project Coyote and the Humane Society of the United States were present as well as many other members of the anti-hunting community. Fortunately the San Diego County Varmint Callers as well as other predator hunters from California were present as well. Apparently predator hunting contests in California that involve cash or a prize of cash value are already illegal in California but the antis wanted to take it a step further and ban any type of prize for a predator hunting contest like a trophy or a ribbon etc.. The California Fish and Game Commission also made it clear that they believe that either a season, bag limit, or the issuing of tags for the take of coyotes would be appropriate since there is currently no season, no limit, and no tag required. There are definitely a couple of members on the commission that in my opinion are not pro hunter. One commission member even went as far as to say he had no problem with predator hunting or predator hunting contests but that he had an issue with taking multiple animals during a contest because that is a massive "slaughter". The antis know this and they are targeting predator hunting because they feel there is going to be less resistance from the hunting community toward their agenda on predators then there would be versus waterfowl, big game etc..

I've had it. I for one intend to ignore any limits on the number of coyotes I take just like I intend to ignore the lead ammo ban for hunting. Grizz

im with ya on that one. where i hunt there isnt even condors. hopefully ill be outta ca by then anyways.

pearson thanks for going and showing support too.

Last edited:
I will never ever let a coyote of opportunity walk.

Seasons on coyote? They are already so thick u can't walk 100 feet without seeing a coyote turd full of rabbit hair.

I think NV sounds nice. Don't even need a license to hunt predators or jacks!

Wait till they pass this stupid ammo bill. It's already 70 bucks per 50 for lead free .223. Won't even be able to get it if u can't order online. My 10mm glock will just be a paperweight.

Back