Varminting with the kids

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Took a while to get these pictures processed, but I thought you other youngsters would like them when I finally got to it.

Over the Independence Day holiday, we headed to northern New Mexico to visit family. While there, we took a few hours one afternoon to shoot a few prairie dogs. We broke out the big guns - .17HMRs.
grin.gif
My 9-year old son was up first and managed to kill three. These two were in good enough shape the photo op:

Erik5July2014PrairieDogs-_zps7b050bce.jpg

My 11-year old daughter also shot a couple, but both fell back into their burrows and didn't oblige us with pictures. However, on the drive out, a big ol' jack rabbit ran across the road in front of us. He stopped close enough for her to get a shot at him, which connected.

Regan5July2014JackRabbit-_zps2e376bcb.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed. Don't forget the small game and varmints; there's lots of fun to be had out there.

That a great thing to do with the young ones. My grandkids have all gone shooting and hunting with me. Going out next Mon to spot and stalk Mr. Mulie with a bow. My oldest girl{8} went last year and did a fantastic job finding, and stalking with me. Taking two of the kids this time.

Last edited:
Right on! That's a great way to get them started. Both my girls (14 and 12 1/2) hunt with me and love it. I especially like the confidence and self esteem it provides them. Keep at it!

Back