Sow Nailed in Backyard

HOT FLIRONE Thermal Hog Kill, single headshot 200 yards:

First%20Hog%20Iron.JPG

First%20Hog%20Rainbow.JPG
scared.gif

Had not even had this nice instrument for an entire 24 hour period and already the swine are chilling....

I was out on the powerline grade out back tonight hanging out in the middle of a huge thunderstorm after dark with lightning and heavy rain in massive quantities...water gauge had 4 inches when I pulled back up to the log cabin.

Spotted a sounder group while sitting in the UTV watching the FLIR M-324 about 3/4 mile down the road rooting.

Turned on the engine and the Larson Electronics Red Led blaster headlamp and slowly made it down to the third telephone pole from the hogs, poles are 120 yards apart, so about 325-350 yards.

It was about 85*, 110% humidity, teaming rain and when I turned on the T-75 it looked like I was sitting right on top of them!

First 7.62mm 130 grain Barnes TSX shot killed this sow and then I hit two more, it was raining so hard that I only had time to pick up the sow and bring her back with me, will go out and get the other two tomorrow morning.

Both thermals worked excellent in the rain, not a problem as the hogs all stood out like a sore thumb. Also turned on the miniDVR to video tape the hogs going down so will work on that later....

T75%20SIG%20Sow.jpg

Hondini%20T75%20Sow.jpg

T75%20SOW%20FLIRONE.jpg

Here are a couple of representative low res snap shots from the FLIR T-75 thermal from 300+ yards out, I am seeing this at 6X through the ocular:

300%20yard%20T75%201X.png

300%20yard%20T75%202X.png

300%20Yard%20T75%204X.png

Here is the video from the three hog shoot out, unfortunately the video connection died the second I pulled the trigger, but you can see the FLIR T-75 thermal response at 300 plus yards up until then at 1X, 2X, and 4X in the pouring down rain at 84*F, remember, I am seeing what you see in the video at 6X through the Elcan ocular:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T75/T75%20Sow/T75%20Sow.mp4

12MB MP4 file so will play on Mac, IPad, or PC...

Even at 1x these hogs look so close... That's amazing.

How do you get so close in your buggy? Is it electric or are they used to the sound of the motor or what?

$bob$

Being in the middle of a teaming rain full-on thunder storm always helps for cover, they had no idea I was there.

Was hanging out on another feeder that I have seen a 400+ pound boar on the game cam for two hours or so swatting mosquitoes, approaching lightning and heavy rain finally made me decide to turn around and head home.

As soon as I turned around in the rain storm, I could see hogs down the powerline 3/4 mile with the FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt thermal, turned on the engine and Red LED blaster and crept down and they never even knew I was there at all, in fact with the .308 suppressor some of them even ran right towards me and ended up sucking lead, found two more the next day...

I really wish it was not August with 100% humidity and 85+F temps at night so I could get some excellent video our of this powerful FLIR T-75 thermal long range scope.

I shot two hogs on the powerline with the SIG 716 7.62mm @ 250 yards and175 yards the night before last about 11PM.

In this video the long range one is already Lights Out while the closer one I shoot here is digging and rooting out a 3'X5' hole oblivious to me about to pull the trigger on him in the dark drizzling humid hot rainy night.

It is an MP4 video about 54MB so will work on Mac, IPad, or PC, I am seeing whatever you see in the video @ 6X though an Elcan scope:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Visi...0Hog%20Kill.mp4

Enjoy!

I feel your pain... One of my buddies and I are headed out to try to turn a couple of hogs that have been raiding my food plots into pork tonight and we're NOT looking forward to dripping sweat and feeling miserable for the 2-3 hours we'll likely be out there.

In about a month we SHOULD have some cooler nights anyway and maybe the days will even be tolerable...

$bob$

Thank God for Deet and ThermaCell or I could hardly stand the mosquitoes in addition to the humidity and sweat, often it does not even make it down to 75*F by daylight....
mad.gif

Well... Much to our surprise there were absolutely NO skeeters last night and even the yellow flies seem to have finally disappeared...

We sat from 9-11:30ish and watched deer feeding for almost all that time and just as it was probably time for the big boar hog we've been after for over a month to make his grand entrance, a heavy fog settled in and our NV scopes couldn't see through it and our illuminators just reflected back so much light that we were blinded....

This boar is incredibly lucky. We've patterned his movements with my game cams and it seems that the only nights he varies his routine are the nights we're there. He's either smarter than we are or just plain fortunate...

I guess that's why they call it hunting rather than shooting. If we'd had a thermal weapon sight with us we could have stayed and whacked him with the 223 or 308 when he lost patience with waiting and yielded to the temptation of the corn... LOL

The PS32 we had would have just frustrated us in spotting him but not providing a shot opportunity.

As it is he lives to eat more of our deer corn and we have another excuse to get away from the wives and go breath some fresh, abeit hot and muggy air.

$bob$

Last edited:
We had a severe thunderstorm last night from 5-8:30PM that dumped two inches of rain with lots and lots of lightning and thunder right on top of us.

Went out in the UTV to sit on the power line road about 9PM as it was still raining moderately and everything was muddied out on the road out there.

Was sitting in the rain reading a book story on my I Phone with the FLIR M-324 pointed down the power line giving me a good view in the rain of a couple of hundred yards in the mono-thermal environment. Mosquitoes were extremely thick and without the ThermaCell on there is no way I could have just parked there.

Still some occasional lightning here and there and moderate to drizzling rain the entire time with gusts of wind get me wet at times. Just sate quietly reading with the FLIR covering the open area on the power line.

About 10PM I look up at the HD LCD monitor and could see what appeared to be a loaner boar hog down rooting in the open about 250 yards down the line.

Turned on the FLIR T-75 Long Range Thermal scope and sure enough, it was a big boar! Turned on the video and got everything going while sitting in the drivers seat with the SIG 716 7.62mm pointed out over the steering wheel.

Took one suppressed shot and WHACK, you could hear the 7.62mm 130 grain 3,000fps slug hit him like a ton of bricks, he collapsed and did a 180* turn to head for the woods but apparently was suffering from severe spinal CNS problems as he could not stand and only crawl. Shot again and missed while he was low to the ground crawling, shot again and hit him WHACK, he was not going anywhere.

Drove down to him and got out and was surprised to see how large this loner boar hog was, intact with nutz, he was a real fighter and had two noticeable wounds on his body, his shield was over an inch thick from all the fights he had been in.

Was able to get him home and dressed out over 225 pounds of meat!

Thermal video turned out real good too for being shot in pouring down rain, will work on that this weekend....the FLIR T-75 is a superb Long Rang Thermal Night Scope!

Hondini%20Boar.jpg

Boar%20Side.jpg

Boar%20Head.jpg

Boar%20Head2.jpg

FLIRONE.jpg

We tried it again tonight but got in a super heavy thunderstorm with 4 inches of rain, soaked with no hogs but thank goodness for 4WD with locking differential as we would still be out there now without it!!! Super super swampy...

Here are a couple of FLIR T-75 video out takes of that big boar at 200 yards at 1X, 2X and 4X, I am seeing same thing as these pics but magnified 6X though the Elcan Specter DR, making the boar fill the entire viewing ocular!!!

Remember, this is in the POURING RAIN......

1X Black Hot:

T75%20Big%20Boar%20Hog1X.jpg

1X Rainbow White Hot:

T75%20Big%20Boar%20Hog1X%20Rain.jpg

2X Black Hot:

T75%20Big%20Boar%20Hog2X.jpg

4X Black Hot:

T75%20Big%20Boar%20Hog4X.jpg

Still working on the video of the hog kill.

Shield on this boar hog was over an inch thick from fighting and sparring. In fact he has two wounds we observed while transforming him into sausage, a mean deep tusk stab to the right rear ham and a healing open wound ripped across his chest from recent fighting!

Shield.jpg

Here is the video of the 400 pound boar hog getting wacked at 200 yards by a couple of handloaded Barnes 130 grain TSX slugs @ 3,000 fps in the pouring down rain....

Format is MP4 so both PC and Mac and IPad can view it, 32MB download in high res:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T75/T75%20Boar%20Hog/T75%20Big%20Boar%20Hog2.mp4

I also put it up on YouTube in lower res:

Let me know what you think, it was shot in the middle of a thunderstorm downpour.

The FLIR T-75 is the cats meow for a long range high power thermal clip on or standalone thermal weapon scope, it is unfortunate that virtually everytime I have hunted with it, it has been in the rain, but we had 17 inches of rain here during the month of August![:O]

Back