.243 LBV- What should I expect?

R15 Predator

I just bought a used one on here to play with on deer and coyote. I already have a 6-6.8 that is set up with a high end day scope and a PVS 26.

I am thinking about going thermal with this one. What do you recommend for coyote loads? Deer loads? I think I want to stay 70 grain and above. I am going to replace the hand guard and maybe the stock.

Last edited:
Sierra 85 GK or 85 Nosler partition will do it all for cowboys. Not kind to hides but most effecient.

The good thing is the case capacity us identical. You can back your 6X6.8 loads down a hair and be GTG. It will shoot the heavier bullets a bit better because of the shorter case.

Greg

Ok. Good to know. I did not know the case capacities were the same. So I can drive the light bullets just as fast but I can load the heavier bullets easier due to a shorter case length?

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorOk. Good to know. I did not know the case capacities were the same. So I can drive the light bullets just as fast but I can load the heavier bullets easier due to a shorter case length?

Max on the light ones in the 243LBC will be a bit lower because the 6X6.8 runs at higher pressures.

Correct on the big boys as less case is used in the 243LBC.

Greg

If you run an 80g bullet in the 6x6.8 w/a 22" bbl you will attain 2945 fps w/x8208 powder and it will cover both coyote & antelope/deer at 400 yds w/no problem.
If you stick w/a 70g bullet you can go 3077 fps w/ease and that will drop coyote at 400 yds and for deer Id stick to 300yds & make sure your placement is good.

Originally Posted By: R15 Predator5spd is that for the 6-6.8 or the .243 LBC.
Its the 6x6.8 from BHW.
I almost built the 243lbc, but after researching them both for a month after narrowing my wants down the 6x6.8 gave better results and I wanted a tad more case capacity for out here in WY/CO/NE country and very glad I did that one.
I will say each are very accurate with just about any load.

I'd stick with the 87 grain VLD's I've been using. When you fire a few of the rounds I sent along you will see why
smile.gif
That load is mild at 27.5 grains of 8208 and 87 grain VLD's loaded to mag length. It was right at 2800 fps, but could go hotter. I never tried cause the accuracy was so good.

Back