Sizing problem on new Remington brass

pyscodog

My buddy picked up two sacks of Remington 6mm brass at the last GS. I just got off the phone with him and he says he's having trouble getting the brass to chamber after full length sizing. His old brass is fine but the new stuff is super tight and almost won't let the bolt close. He's been loading for years but this has him stumped. Any ideas?

Does he still have any of the new brass that is unworked, and will it chamber?

How does he have his resizing die set? Just touching, or camminng over firmly?

Is his shell holder the same brand as the die? I've seen this cause a problem.

Where is the chamber marking the case, as in any bright spots? Put in one that will fit and open and close the bolt several times.

Is there a buildup of rust-carbon in the die or chamber? A little steel wool and JB bore cleaner spun on a old cleaning rod section works well.

I'm sure that he has checked OAL. Even though new, it may have stretched when he resized it.

Does he have a buddy with another 6MM resizing die he can borrow?

Without having hands on, sort-of shooting in the dark.

I know what you mean about shot in the dark. I think he said the dies are RCBS,as far as how he has his die set ??, He's no rookie to reloading so I figure he has gone thru the proper set-up. He sorts his brass for weight, all the stuff an old BR shooter goes thru. The brass is all new and he hasn't tried to load any rounds yet. I'll update as I am updated.

If any brass is left unworked I would have him run one through the button only and not size it at all. This will round the case neck. Try to chamber that. It should chamber like butter.

If so the problem would be in the die set up. Adjust accordingly.

I have been using Rem brass since 1976 for my 6mm's and never had a problem. With that said what I do is with brand new brass is use my neck sizing die set for sizing about half the neck only for the first firing of the brass. After the first firing I use my FL sizing die set to bump the shoulder back 0.001, I have always had good luck using these methods in my other calibers also.

It is possible that he has his sizing die set improperly and he is actually pushing the shoulder forward and that is why it is so hard to chamber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy buddy picked up two sacks of Remington 6mm brass at the last GS. I just got off the phone with him and he says he's having trouble getting the brass to chamber after full length sizing. His old brass is fine but the new stuff is super tight and almost won't let the bolt close. He's been loading for years but this has him stumped. Any ideas?

I have never understood people that full length size new brass that has never been fired.

Full length sizing is one of the most destructive things you can do to a cartridge case - and it is the #1 cause that leads to head separation case failure.

FL dies should not be used unless, and until, the case is hard to chamber - and then the FL die should be adjusted to "just" size enough to have the case fit the way you want.

If your new brass has necks or mouths that are dinged, then run an expander ball through them, or better yet, a Lyman "M" die... but leave the body alone until it has fire-formed into it's new home.

That being said.

A full length die is smaller than a chamber, and 99.9% of the time, it is shorter.

So if the case goes ALL THE WAY into the FL die, then it will go into the chamber. If the case will go all the way into the die, and NOT the chamber, then there is some other problem that your friend has overlooked and/or not conveyed.

And tell him to stop ruining his 6mm Brass - it is too hard to find (I have hoarded of it
tt2.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatShooter
And tell him to stop ruining his 6mm Brass - it is too hard to find (I have hoarded it all
tt2.gif
)

Ahhhh just an FYI here buddy... You don't have all of it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
And tell him to stop ruining his 6mm Brass - it is too hard to find (I have hoarded it all
tt2.gif
)

grin.gif

Knowing 'Shooter ....... he's probably got MOST of it ....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
tt2.gif
)

grin.gif

Well.. I have most of the special order Winchester 6mm Rem brass - it never even shows up in the stores. It is sold before it gets out of the factory.

I have two 6mm Rems (I prefer the original name, .244 Rem)

I use the Winchester brass in my 40XB...

HighWall-40XB011_zpsffa4210f.jpg

... and I use the Rem brass in my .244 Rem - 1885 High Wall

HighWall-40XB004-Copy_zps8f4d8d40.jpg

Beautiful woochuck rifles... life is good!

LOVE it .... just love it. I've walked around those odd looking "things" (I don't know what else to call them) at the 500 yard range here when they're shooting and just marvel at what they're capable of. Some of those scopes are longer than my rifles ....
blink.gif

Pardon my optics ignorance but what the heck are those things Catshooter? What will they do that modern scopes won't? (Im assuming they are vintage?)

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterPardon my optics ignorance but what the heck are those things Catshooter? What will they do that modern scopes won't? (Im assuming they are vintage?)

They are Unertl target scopes - made by John Unertl and a few guys - he died about 17 years ago. Some dipstick tried to keep the company going, but he lasted a year or so... and the company closed.

There was one other loooooong scope made by Lyman, called the Super TargetSpot (I have one of those on a Winchester M-70.... 30-06 original Viet Nam sniper rifle - it is more than cool)... and there was a smaller one called the Junior TargetSpot.
The advantage is that the adjustments are 110% accurate - the scopes track perfectly - always.

Running a "box" test on a Unertl or TargetSpot is the ultimate exercise in stupid.

When they show up on eBay in good condition, they typically go for $1,000 and up. Dogs go for $600 to $700

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: TheshedhunterPardon my optics ignorance but what the heck are those things Catshooter? What will they do that modern scopes won't? (Im assuming they are vintage?)

They are Unertl target scopes - made by John Unertl and a few guys - he died about 17 years ago. Some dipstick tried to keep the company going, but he lasted a year or so... and the company closed.

There was one other loooooong scope made by Lyman, called the TargetSpot (I have one of those on a Winchester M-70.... 30-06 original Viet Nam sniper rifle - it is more than cool).
The advantage is that the adjustments are 110% accurate - the scopes track perfectly - always.

Running a "box" test on a Unertl or TargetSpot is the ultimate exercise in stupid.

When they show up on eBay in good condition, they typically go for $1,000 and up. Dogs go for $600 to $700

Cat, When the wife and I shot 22LR indoor Gallery (@50') we used a Lyman 15 power, Me thinks it was a Super Target Spot / but it could have been called a Target Spot. Love those outside Micro adjustments. Like you said never failed to track.

I sold the rifle and scope for $300.00 and the fella that bought it gave me an extra $100.00. Never knew those Lyman scopes were worth very much.
Live and learn.

Wished I still had it.

Originally Posted By: Hidalgo

'Shooter, when can we all come to your house and play with the toys?
tt1.gif
lol.gif

I have two wooden crates filed with MTM boxes of test loads, and I can't get time to get to the range.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

I have two wooden crates filed with MTM boxes of test loads, and I can't get time to get to the range.
frown.gif

Boy ... can I relate to THAT. I'm in the process of remodeling a house (by myself). It takes all of my spare time trying to stay on my self-imposed completion schedule. And to beat it all, the gun club is 2.5 miles away and I still can't get time to shoot ......
angry.gif

Back