seating depth on 257 weatherby

mbaysinger89

I'm trying to get some 85 gr nosler bt's loaded up using RL 22 and fed mag rifle primers I've worked from 69.5-73 gr(recomended max, very very slight cratering) and haven't really found a great load, right at moa. I've been setting oal from 3.20 to 3.25 in. With the light bullets has anybody had any luck seating deeper? Or is it time to start over with something that takes up some more volume in the case?

There are two different schools of thought on the Weatherby chamberings: one is to seat up close to the lands and work up loads that way, ignoring all the velocity Roy got by chambering with a lot of free bore, the other is to seat to cartridge recommendation and load as hot as you can go without causing problems with extraction, brass stretch at case web, etc.

I think I would try seating the bullets up close. To me, accuracy trumps velocity, and regardless of what velocity you end up with, I think it is going to be a pretty screaming quarter bore!

3.250 is about as far as I can seat this bullet out with it being a boat tail. I have some 87 gr flat bases I could try. I'm not too worried about a few hundred fps 3700 is still fast. Just can't seem to find that accuracy I'd like to see out of this rifle. I'm thinking I'll load up a few charges of 72.5gr and seat at 3.15 and 3.10 and see what happens. I've been told weatherbys like full cases. Any proof to this? I don't have enough powder and can't find anymore to really do extensive testing or I'd just try it. Any help is appreciated.

Back